Wednesday, January 17, 2018

log cabin progress

Last week I pulled out my log cabin blocks with the hope that this would be the last time I pull out the stack of blocks before I have a completed quilt top. It didn't take much calculating to realize that would NOT be the case. I do love a good long term project though, and this is definitely one of them!
It takes awhile to re-acclimate to a project after a long time out, but I've settled back into this one quite nicely. I've been working on up to 20 blocks at a time, so progress is slow, but enjoyable.
I've been adding the finished blocks to the design wall as I make them. It's fun to watch it grow! I've been trying to use up some of my most precious scraps in this quilt, so I've got a lot of Denyse Schmidt fabrics, along with plenty of polka dots and some thirties thrown in for good measure. It's a fun combination. Of course there are a lot of random scraps in the mix, too. The more the merrier!
I've got 47/132 blocks complete. I'm going for a king size quilt. I'm about 35% done!

I'm using my log cabin measurements, which can be found here. The blocks will finish at 9" square.

26 comments:

One English Teacher said...

It's so fun to see it taking shape on the design wall!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

karen said...

So glorious! What a cheerful sight. I bet it really perks up a winter's day.

Jacey said...

Super pretty! I'm thinking of you as I sew some scraps today. <3

Noblequilts@gmail.com said...

Oh I do love a scrappy log cabin quilt. So beautiful. I can't wait to see the end result. Keep on going.

Di~ said...

Beauties!

=0)jessica said...

it's lovely! I've never done a log cabin...I really need to!

AnnieO said...

Very cheerful and fun. Enjoy the ride 😊

Food and Fiber Floozie said...

although I do not like scrap quilts, your quilt is so pretty and cheery it makes me smile. And I give you TONS of credit for doing a king sized quilt in those log cabin blocks...it will be totally awesome when finished.

piecefulwendy said...

I love the fabrics! Log cabins have always been a favorite of mine, even though I find I tire of them if I try to do too many at once. So this is a good long term project. King size -- whoa!

...by CJ said...

Beautiful blocks!
Log cabin was my grandmother's favorite block to make, I have one of her LC quilts. On my to do list.....maybe I should just start and make it a long term project.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Looks great! I love log cabin quilts :) "Need" to make a few more myself! xx

Leslie said...

Love your colors & as I’m finding out almost anything goes. Also when the strip width called for1”, I cut it 1 1/4” & it made all the difference when it came to squaring up as I went along.

Chris said...

It looks great!

Michelle said...

Great way to use up low volume prints. I have trouble with those...

Charlotta said...

That’s really making a beautiful quilt! I haven’t made a log cabin quilt since forever. Looks like a great idea!

treen said...

I'm making my first log cabin quilt now out of all my Christmas scraps - I'm up to 12 12.5-inch squares. Mine is reds and greens. I like the white/colors combination too!

grammajudyb said...

Love them. Log cabins are favorites of mine.

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is going to be a beauty.

Julie said...

This is wonderful! I love the mix of bright prints and low volume fabrics. I am inspired to make one! I have done several log cabin quilts, but they were all the basic ones with certain fabrics in wider strips.

Jill said...

Love it! A very worthwhile long-term project.

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness, I’m in love! I can’t wait to finish up my current projects so I can pull out a scrappy long term WIP, too! I need some of that satisfaction!

SuperMomNoCape said...

This is going to be an awesome quilt!

Leanne Parsons said...

Log cabins blocks can feel like they take forever, but they are so beautiful when they're done :) Yours look amazing with those bright and cheery colours. What a fabulous quilt they will make.

Linda said...

LOVE IT!

Sandy Panagos said...

The low volume prints really make the colors stand out nicely. Beautiful blocks!