Wednesday, December 13, 2017

a little of everything

I've been walking around my house singing "it's the MOST wonderful time of the year", but in a slightly sarcastic manner. I just can't seem to keep up! I know I'm not alone, but I still don't care for the ridiculous pace of early to mid December. This post is a little random, so please bear with me! :)
Thank you so much for the sweet comments on my gingham quilt! I had a few requests to see the pillows a little better, so here you go. I made pillowcases with Lotta dots in Coral, the chenille pillow shams were made from an old bedspread and the kindness pillow was finished earlier this year. I love the simplicity of the whole ensemble. It makes me smile every time I walk into my room! It's wonderful to have new bedding to brighten up the dreary winter days.

I've been working on a lot of different things this week...
I started knitting an origami top hat for a friend. I LOVE this shockingly pink yarn. It's been a great project to work on while I'm on the go.
This panel of hexies is part of a larger project that I will share more of soon. I estimated that it's taken me between 12 and 16 hours JUST to sew the hexagons together. Sometimes it's better NOT to count the hours. Hahaha! It did force me to just sit down for awhile, AND they are super cute, so it was totally worth it!
My neighbor ordered a pincushion to give as a gift, so I made one for her as well. I had a blast making these from my teeny tiny scraps.
And, I had to make an extra one, just for good measure. It felt so good to finish SOMETHING! Playing with scraps and finishing a few small projects was just the boost I needed to keep going.
 
I hope you are able to find a few moments in this busy time of year to breathe and enjoy the little things, too!

19 comments:

LeslieWms said...

I love your blog ... and your gingham quilt is lovely. I teach children how to sew and many of your projects have inspired us. Thank you. I'm gifting myself with one of your books this Christmas -- just trying to decide which one first. Have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends, and a restful, prosperous new year ... and thank you, again, for all the work you do to make our lives more fun.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

December came to fast once again this year!

grammajudyb said...

Such a fun post! Those red and white pinnies are sooooo cute!

Patty said...

It is crazy, isn't it? I think I'm going to sew some hexies myself just because.

Quilting Babcia said...

Yes, December sure is busy. Those little pincushions remind me of the tiny Christmas ornament I was stitching when I went into labor some 35 years ago, said ornament was finished a couple years ago, my very longest ufo!

Kay said...

I love the hexie block, I never count how long it take stop make hexies are it can be very time consuming, but so relaxing. Yesterday I started making a bag out of hexies for my daughter as a Christmas present, they are now all cut and pinned ready for basting which is my job for today. Cute pincushions too. x

Gemini Jen NZ said...

I love the hexies - aqua is my colour of the year!

Kerry said...

Love the gingham quilt. A happy reminder of summer days yet to come (especially as we've had murky weather - sun's out today though yaaaayy!).

I think the pincushions are really cute too.

My favourite colour is green - and it's strange that I have hardly any green fabric at all - still, it appears a lot in florals! I do have a lot more aqua and that's closely bordering on blue!

Merry Christmas and same sentiments with regard to stress and crazy season. At least we don't have to contend with Thanksgiving too! Yeek! Double stress!

KaHolly said...

Delightful post today! I’m feeling the crunch, too, through no fault but my own.

Got fabric? said...

Love everything you do! The gingham quilt ensemble is so fresh and happy. And your little pincushions make me want to drop everything I'm doing and make some myself. Thanks for inspiring us every day!

Emily said...

I definitely have a love/hate relationship with December! I love your quilt and little projects. I made a paper-pieced pentagon ball ornament for my sister this year, it was nice to have a 'slow' project to work on. :)!

Allison said...

Thanks for making time to blog and post these lovely, bright projects. It's encouraging to view some finishes when I feel like I have too many half finished to-do lists and projects.

Suze said...

I started knitting like a madwoman yesterday and I have about 10 more rows and I will have finished a hat for my six year old grandson on size 4 circular needle. When I went to Albuquerque recently to take care of my 6 and 11 year old grandsons for two weeks, the older one asked if I remembered knits hats for them when they were little. They each were preemies and I knitted hats for them. They have seen pictures of them in the NICU and beyond in my handknitted hats. So, Grandma Sudie just has to get some new hats knitted and in the mail. The first one is for the 6 year old and is a dark royal blue - so hard to see. The next one and larger is a bright red. So, I need to get back to clicking the needles. I love the gingham quilt.

Mary Marcotte said...

I've told you already that I love the quilt, but your pillows are perfect. I love lavish, rich fabrics for bedding, but there's something about simplicity that just relaxes the soul. You can go in and curl up and enjoy "the most wonderful time of the year."
Merry Christmas everyone!

Bernie Kringel said...

Love this collection of random projects.
Some time ago, I picked up a chenille bedspread at a thrift store. It is in really nice condition. What do you think? Could I use it as a quilt back? It seems like it would be so cozy. (The original minky fabric!)

Brenda, Bend, Or., USA said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful, restful quilt. I love it! Your pillows and cute pin cushions too! I sure appreciate you thinking of us during such a very busy, and hectic time! MERRY CHRISTMAS, and I hope you have a very calm, rejuvenating New Year! : ) Brenda King, Bend, Oregon

SusanfromKentucky said...

I love your Gingham Quilt. But on the Christmas front, consider yourself VERY lucky and blessed. I lost my husband, unexpectedly, in May. Christmas is very sad this year for us. My husband LOVED Christmas and decorating for it. I am miserable now. I would give ANYTHING to have one of our previous Christmases back.

Simply, Sarah said...

Do you ever sell your amazing pincushions?

Di~ said...

I love how your "boost to keep going" includes keeping going! ha my boost is usually a nap! Maybe that is why you get so much done! and because you are younger than me! :)