Friday, June 19, 2015

chenille shams

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

My dear friend Tara and her family have been here visiting this week and it's been wonderful! They just left this morning and it was soooo hard to see them go. We squeezed in a little sewing time during the visit, which was delightful. We definitely had to squeeze it in, since we had 5 kids running (and crawling) around. A good time was had by all!
Tara gave me (and more importantly taught me how to use) an invisible zipper foot for my Juki. So, a project that spent a lot of time on the "someday" list got finished this week. Sweet!!! I made simple pillow shams from a chenille bedspread that I got at a garage sale for a dollar. (Or maybe it was free?) I love them so much!!! They are a nice, fresh, summer look for my bed.

edited to add: the quilt on the bed is one I called window panes, which I blogged about here. The tutorial is here, thanks to Ashley. :)

Thanks for all of you who weighed in on the conversation last week about finish it up Friday. The comments helped me! I've decided I will keep things going throughout the summer. I will keep it as FINISH it up Friday, not a work in progress party. (Lee has a WIP Wednesday link up, if you would like to share your in progress photos there.) I will also not expect myself to finish something each week, because that IS just crazy! I'll try to cut myself a little slack. :)

Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week! Thanks for joining me for finish it up Friday!

22 comments:

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh aren't they pretty, and definitely very summery :) I'm so glad you are keeping Finish it up Friday going, I so enjoy being inspired by everyone else even when I've not finished anything myself!

Bernie Kringel said...

Chenille is one of my favorites! That was a lucky garage sale find. :-)

Liz Jimenez said...

Ooh, those shams are adorable! Such great texture. I'm afraid of the invisible zipper, how great that Tara was there to walk you through it!

Unknown said...

Very nice shams , love the texture - and what is that quilt pattern I love it - it makes me feel happy( if that makes sense ) great job.

Suzanne said...

You see inner beauty and then some. I might have passed on that bedspread but the texture goes really well with the scrappy quilt. Lucky you.

Julie Bagamary said...

Beautiful inspiring quilt. Great idea for pillow shams!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love your shams! I have an old chenille bedspread I have had tucked away for years. I might have to make some pillows with it. Your white ones are so fresh looking!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Oh, and if you ever need a break, I would be happy to guest host for you. I really do enjoy seeing all the finishes and appreciate your willingness to continue.

Unknown said...

Amanda, do you remember the quilt top that you helped me put together several years ago? I finally dug it out and basted it and started quilting it. It's wonderful to work with a lawn charm pack from Connecting Threads was used). It's going to be my "Girls just Wanna have Fun" quilt because it's so girly and Pretty in Pink!

CapitolaQuilter said...

Yeah for using tools and friends who share how. Love the shams. I bought a bedspread once with high hopes then finally donated it back to the thrift store.

Susanhusan said...

I love your chenille shams! They bring back many memories - all of them good!

Angela Atkins said...

The shams are very pretty. What a great way to use the old bedspread.

Heide said...

What a great find! Love what you have done with the chenille.

Brenda T said...

So I love the pillow shams !!! Is there a specific pattern that you used and did you use a zipper on the shams? I have a chenille bedspread and have no idea what to do with it.

Thanks,
Brenda

Unknown said...

I don't have any in real life friends that sew. It must have been such a fun visit. The pillow shams came out great!

Daytona Damsel said...

Thanks for continuing to host Finish it up Friday. I have met and found many bloggers through these posts. Of course I also spend most of Saturday reading a large portion of the post. One suggestion for those who link up: Put a word or two about your quilt instead of your name. Those are the ones I go to first. I have a friend that made the same comment to me. If you are running short on time you go to the ones you know are about something you are interested in. Just a suggestion.

Julie Bagamary said...

Just posted my progress on the Scrap Vortex QAL - thanks for the inspiration!!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

You got a great deal on that Chenille spread! Not too long ago there was one at the local mission store and they wanted 30.00 for it since it was vintage!

Nicky said...

Your new pillow covers look great! Would you please tell me the pattern you used for your quilt? I thought I remembered seeing it in you tutorials, and then I thought I saw it on Moda Bake Shop, but I can't find it anywhere!!
Love your work,
Nicky
nicky-l-g@hotmail.com

Amanda Jean said...

Paula,

I added a link to the post above with the quilt pattern information. I hope that helps!

AJ

Amanda Jean said...

Brenda T,

I didn't use a pattern for the shams. I just used the size of the pillow as a guide and added an invisible zipper to the bottom of each one. It was pretty easy, once I figured out the orientation of the zipper!

I hope that helps!

AJ

Amanda Jean said...

Nicky,

I added the link to the quilt in the post above. I should learn to add the links the first time around. You would think I would know better by now! :)

Hope that helps!

AJ