Monday, September 25, 2017

aqua goes with everything

One of my goals for this year was to do some designing and collaborating with my daughter. It's nearly October already (!!!), so it's good to take a look back at those goals from January and see what still needs to be done for the year. Hahaha!
This project started out pretty innocently, which I love. My daughter was playing with my bin of 2 1/2" squares and she started arranging them on the design wall. This is a design that she came up with and I absolutely loved it. She was delighted that I loved it enough to sew it up!
I encouraged her to arrange another one, and yellow was next color she chose.
And the green one was the third block that she designed. I helped her do some editing on the second two blocks, which actually went ok. (Phew!) We've been having fun making one block at a time. She designs, I sew. While it isn't a quick project, it's been a great one to work on together. She told me that she really doesn't like sewing, she'd rather just come up with the ideas and do the designing. (Hahaha! Gotta love her honesty!) She and I share the same love of aqua, obviously.

My plan is to come up with a second block pattern to combine with these blocks, so I can avoid doing any sashing in order to make a complete quilt top. At the rate this quilt is coming together, there is no need to rush to come up with that second block idea...and I'm totally fine with that!

Happy Monday to you!

20 comments:

Charlotte M. said...

I love these blocks. She has a great eye. I understand how she feels. I always have more ideas than I can sew up in a reasonable amount of time.

Robby said...

I think I understand your daughter's feeling. I do really enjoy sewing, but I can design faster than I can sew. It's probably why I enjoy sewing more than knitting. I can sew far faster than I can or ever will knit. Some of us just really like to see ideas come to life.(Or possibly, I lack patience, but we'll discuss that another day.)

grammajudyb said...

I really like these blocks. Looking forward to seeing more and a completed quilt top.

Live a Colorful Life said...

So true. Aque DOES go with everything!

Frog Quilter said...

The secondary block will appear when you put the blocks together. Love it!

Linda said...

Love this! <3 :)

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm another aqua lover, and these blocks are looking good!!

Slice of Pi said...

Aqua DOES go with everything! I have to resist making every quilt in aqua! My favorite color by far!

Sheila said...

Your daughter certainly has a good eye, I see a designing career in her future!!
I love the blocks!

Pamela Arbour said...

She certainly knows how to mix colors. Can't wait to see the finish!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

It is so intriguing how the colors can make or break a block. Aqua is not my favorite color, but the first block with the red squares really makes the block pop!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Yep. Your daughter has a good eye for design. I'm totally with her in loving the design process more than the sewing.

OhioLori said...

Awesome!! I do same with my 10 yr old Grangirlie!! Has very good eye for color & design...but told me "I'm just not a sewy person Gma" :)
We have such great times..she lays out the project & I sew it! Enjoy your Heart Memory Making Moments with your Daughter!!! Ohio Hugs!! :)

Carol said...

Aqua is considered a neutral tone in my family.

Paige said...

Indeed, aqua DOES go with everything!

Melanie said...

You have a very talented daughter :)

KaHolly said...

Such precious time together resulting in sheer beauty! Enjoy!

PowerToolsWithThread said...

Sounds like a new quilt book title to me! "Everything Goes With Aqua" :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

how wonderful! what a great team :) Very pretty blocks!

Clare M said...

Lovely blocks. Agree with everything that has been said about aqua. Lol. I am not sure if you need a second block. The thought of floating 'x's is rather good. Continue to enjoy making unforgettable memories with your daughter.