Friday, April 07, 2017

terrific tulip mini quilt

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
Last week, I had the chance to help out my sweet friend, Katherine, by testing her new block pattern called terrific tulip. It's a great pattern and it was a lot of fun to sew up! It was also a good exercise in following directions. (I am usually writing them, not following them. It was a nice change of pace! Ha!) Isn't the block cute?
This morning, I quilted it up and turned it into a mini quilt. It measures about 12" square. I think I love diamond crosshatching most of all for minis! The bias gingham binding makes a perfect finish, too, doesn't it? I love how it turned out so much, I immediately hung it up above my desk. It will make me smile every time I see it! I am SO ready for spring....
I'm not sure where I picked up this tip, but I read it somewhere awhile back. You can use your dull/used sewing machine needles to hang up your mini quilts on the wall. The needles are still fairly sharp and since they are rigid, they easily push into the wall. Works like a charm! I love repurposing things and I thought that this was a pretty genius idea. As an aside...I'm so thankful that my husband doesn't mind how many holes I put into the wall!
 
That's it for me today! Do you have a finish to share? If so, please link up. Thank you, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! I really mean that! :) Have a great weekend! xo
 

19 comments:

Shelley Folkerts said...

I love the diamond cross hatch quilting. This mini is such a cute finish. Thank you for hosting Finish It Up Friday every week.

Di~ said...

ABSOUTELY DARLING!!! I've been wondering what to do with all those needles I keep in a little bottle! :)

beth s said...

That diamond cross hatching is something I NEED to try!
Love it.

Lorna McMahon said...

This tulip is perfect for dressing up your sewing room wall. The pinks and green are so fresh looking and I love the way Katherine designed the leaves. Thanks so much for sharing... as we can use all the spring inspiration we can get!

Katherine said...

Oh, look how fabulous your block is as a mini! Love how fresh and Spring-y it is! Totally smitten with the diamond quilting and that gingham binding - just so good.

Thanks again for all your help, sweetie! Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Perfect finish for spring!

Angie in SoCal said...

Great pattern for solids, and beautifully quilted.

Karen @runsewfun said...

Well this is just happy! And your photos show how quilting makes a great block even better. I agree, that gingham makes for a perfect finish! Welcome spring!

Kitty said...

What an adorable pattern! It is a perfect mini for spring, and your color choices are so cheerful. That diamond quilting is clutch, too!

Patty said...

I've been making tulips too - I love the leaves on yours!

Corrie said...

Perfect for spring! So sweet.

Lee said...

Thanks for posting Finish it up Friday and your other blog themes! I'm always happy to see your name in my inbox and know I will be in for a visual treat! You're very inspiring!

...by CJ said...

Sweet mini-quilt.......is the pattern available?

Thanks for the tip about using needles, I've been using old straight pins, it works but sometimes they bend.

Enjoy your weekend!

Il Gufo Creativo said...

This mini quilt it's really very, very cute.
The binding is so perfect. I love it so much!

Rene' said...

Pretty mini!! Thanks for the tip in hanging said mini! Have a great weekend!

josiekitten said...

I love the pink gingham border, it's the perfect frame for your quilt!

snoopydogknits said...

Love this! It's so simple but so pretty!

Amanda Jean said...

Carolyn jones,

yes! the pattern is available. if you click on the words 'terrific tulip' in the blog post above, the link will send you directly to the pattern.

I hope that helps!

AJ

Suzanne said...

Such perfect points! What great excecution of what I can only imagine is a finely done pattern! I love tulips. Dare I ask if a garden of them might bloom over your desk