Friday, April 14, 2017

harvest sweater complete

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

Last year, my one crafty goal was to knit myself a sweater. It's April, so I did not meet my timeline, but I am still very pleased that my harvest sweater is complete! I am over the moon with the results!!! After blocking the sweater, it has just the right amount of slouch and it feels so cozy. I don't know that I'm going to ever take it off. Hurray!
I am neither a photographer OR a model....so this photo was a huge stretch for me. (Thank goodness for cropping! Ha!) I'm also thankful for my tripod and a certain little girl who happened to be home from school that was happy to assist me. A big thank you to my friend, Suzanne, who suggested early on that I alternate skeins of yarn, which was a huge factor in the success of this piece. Another big thank you to my friend, Tara, who talked me into buying GOOD yarn for this project. It definitely was the right call. (I'm also thankful that my husband concurred and didn't gasp when I told him about how much it would cost. He's a keeper!)

The pattern is called harvest, by Tin Can Knits. I knit it on size 9 and 7 needles. (I had to go up a size to get the required gauge, because I tend to knit tightly.) The yarn is Madelintosh Vintage in the color Fog. This sweater is size Medium. I would highly recommend the pattern!

I didn't have a lot of time to sew this week, and when I did have time, I had a hard time settling into any one project. Don't you hate that? I guess that's all part of the process, as frustrating as that may be.
I did focus long enough to finish my daughter's placemat, which was designed by her and sewn by me. It was a fun project to work on together. I suggested a few times that we add two skinny strips to the top and bottom, to make it a bit more proportionate, but she declared it "just the right size". She's right, it looks just fine.
She picked a fun lime green print for the backing and we chose the navy polka dot binding together. I like how the navy binding ties in with the two navy squares in the middle. She has a good eye, that one! She also loves her Michael Miller Ta-dot fabrics. I can't imagine why.... (ha!)
This piece of patchwork has been floating around the sewing room for way too long. Years! It was high time it became a useful object, so I turned it into a skinny pinnie. It measures about 2" x 9.75", which is a great size to nicely fit in front of a sewing machine. I'm on a mission to fill up my "candy" bowl with pincushions again.... it's going to be so much fun!
 
Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you for joining me for finish it up Friday. It wouldn't be the same without you! Have a great weekend! xo

31 comments:

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

your sweater looks gorgeous! I love Tin Can Knits patterns and it's definitely on my to knit list. And yay for good yarn - if you're going to spend all that time making it then you've got to be working with something really nice :)

The Cozy Quilter said...

Beautiful sweater! Your daughter has a great eye for colour. I want to learn to knit someday.

Bobbi @ Snowy Days Quilting said...

Your sweater is fabulous! It's making me want to learn how to knit. Will you have to block it every time it goes through the wash?

I love the placemat your daughter designed. I didn't realize at first that the layout is completely symmetrical. It's lovely! I think we have another quilt designer in our future.

Ariane said...

Your finished sweater is gorgeous!! Your daughters placemat is super cute. Love the little skinny pinny

Alison V. said...

What a lovely sweater! I doubt that I would want to take it off either. :)

Tracybug Creative said...

That sweater is so dreamy! I love it! And your girl does have excellent color picking skills! Love how happy the pincushion is!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful sweater. Not sure I will ever find time to knit again. Unless they figure out how to put more hours in a day! Happy Friday!

Mary Marcotte said...

When you showed that sweater a few posts back, I fell in love with the gray. It's going to be your most versatile piece because that gray can work with anything: black, white, stripes, colors, jeans. Now I've talked myself into jealousy, but I can't knit so I'll adore it vicariously. :)
Your little one does have a good eye. I wonder if there's sewing/needlework gene in our DNA that hasn't been discovered, yet. Wouldn't that be interesting?!

Live a Colorful Life said...

This sweater looks perfect--fit, style and of course color. And your project with Abby is so sweet.

travelinsewl said...

nice job on the sweater. i know what you mean about being distracted by different projects. Its been my goal in 2017 to finish one project before starting another. Been good so far but I am losing my resolve. i just don't like having to clean up one mess only to make another. : )

jerri said...

Thanks for sharing your sweater. I, too, quilt and knit and I enjoy seeing others who do both.

Leanne Parsons said...

The sweater is beautiful! Congratultions on getting it finished :)

Sharon said...

What a beautiful sweater! It looks so cozy. Your daughter has learned her eye for fabric and design from a master! Cute skinny pinny! I love your pincushions!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your sweater is awesome! ~Jeanne

Lucy | Charm About You said...

beautiful sweater! Love the mug rug and that's such a nice bright pincushion. you've done more sewing than you think :)

Cheryl Arkison said...

Tell A I am thrilled she chose some of my fabric for her placemat!

farmhousequilter8 said...

Love your sweater. Paula in KY

rubyslipperz1052 said...

I'm envious of your sweater completion! =D. I have attempted a couple of sweaters for toddler grandchildren and I have the hardest time making the sleeves the same =(. I MUST try again...your sweater has inspired me. =). Thanks for sharing!

Mina said...

That is a beautiful sweater!

Sew Much For Free Time said...

That could be a year round sweater...well, almost! Maybe a few weeks in August would be too warm for it. Lol. But it's so pretty, I'd want to wear it as often as just could!

Jeneta said...

You look fantastic! And the sweater looks great too!!

Suzyquilter Duval said...

Beautiful! I've made this sweater too. Great pattern.

piecefulwendy said...

What a nice sweater. If I could knit well enough to make one, I might try it. You make a great model, by the way :-)

CandyR said...

Love the sweater!!

Janice Holton said...

Kudos to you for this great knitted finish! First for having the patience to and focus to do this (I do NOT) and second for the way it turned out. Looks professionally made!

KaHolly said...

I am so impressed with your sweater! It looks great! Think you'll make another...different pattern? Your daughter did a lovely job designing her placemat. She'll be a big help in choosing fabrics for your upcoming projects and for bouncing ideas off of. You've raised her well! When I first saw your mini Linnie, I thought why would someone want a 2"'wide, extra long pincushion? But you are so right! It will be perfect for in front of the sewing machine. You're a genius!

Patti said...

Beautiful sweater! You did a wonderful job! I've pinned this post for inspiration!

Laura J. said...

Love the sweater...have not made one in ages and never brave enough to use "good" yarn. Bravo!
Wondering if you will be teaching at the Minnesota Quilt show in Duluth this summer? Would love to take a class or just meet you. I really enjoy your blog posts! Keeps me inspired!
Thanks, Laura

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your sweater looks great. Congrats :)

josiekitten said...

Your sweater is fabulous and I love the place mat , especially the spotty binding which picks out those two central squares.

Quilty said...

I love your sweater it's beautiful!