Friday, March 03, 2017

three zip pouches

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

This week has been an extremely busy one. Since I had so little time to sew, I'm going to share the zipper pouches that I made for my kids around Christmas time. I never got around to blogging them, so I'd like to think that today is a good time for that. :)
This first pouch is for my middle child, who loves penguins. I used scraps from a friend to make the pouch. After I gave it to my son, he told me that I had already made him one very much like it. I had to love his honesty. Hahaha! Total winning mom moment. Well, now he has two. :)
My daughter LOVES ta-dot fabric by Michael Miller. She can pick one out of a fabric line up faster than anyone else I know. It's equal parts hilarious and frightening. I definitely have a future fabric junkie on my hands! My daughter's favorite color combo is gray and aqua, so this is THE ultimate fabric in her eyes. I only had a scrap of this fabric... not even have enough to make one side panel, so I added some gray solid to the bottom to make it long enough. (I used this pattern, just modified the size of the two colored sections.) I love the proportions of it! I also love eeeking out as much as I can out of my scraps!
For the backside, I used more of the solid gray, but I quilted it in an uneven grid, with two colors of thread. It turned out better than I could have hoped! It has great texture.
On the inside, I had to add a splash of color. She LOVES the pouch so much. She filled it with markers and totes it around everywhere. (YAY!!!)
The last pouch was made for my oldest... my sheep-loving son. I used more scraps for this one (leftovers from the Maker's Tote that Anna so kindly sewed for me!) and surrounded the sheep with some Essex linen. This pouch gave me a reason to finally use the funky colored gold zipper that was in my stash for years. Last I saw, my son was using it to carry Nerf darts around the house.

I LOVE making things for my kids.... I love seeing them used. It never gets old.

If you want more zipper pouch inspiration (and helpful tutorials), my friend Kristin is doing a 52 week zipper challenge this year. It's been fun to follow along. You may want to check it out!

Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you for joining me for finish it up Friday!


18 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

These are so cute!! I love the happy pop of color inside ;) And thank you for the links!! These are totally inspiring me to make some for my kiddo's, but I will admit, the zipper has me a little intimidated. I will follow along with Kristen for some zipper confidence ;)

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love the pouches, especially the sheep one. My MIL loves sheep...I think I have some sheep fabric around here somewhere...maybe I will make her one! Thanks for doing this link up each week! It is fun to see what you and everyone else have been making.

Kim said...

I love making zip pouches. They're quick to make. Yours are so fun with the penguins and pretty prints.

kathy said...

That's a great idea for using some of the novelty fabric I always seem to come home with when I take my kids to the fabric store!

Nicole said...

I'm with your daughter on that dot fabric. I only have second hand scraps so I never knew who made it. Have a great weekend.

a maidenhair fern said...

It was sure fun to see your face in some of the picturs on IG from quiltcon. Thank you again for your time and efforts for us bloggers. You're quilting has always been an inspiration.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Well two of your kids have amazing taste - penguins and Ta Dots are both fantastic and my favourites too! I have a fear of sheep so can't fully appreciate that love but I admit the last bag is cute too ;)

Patty said...

Love the penguin pouch!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great little Penguin bag. So happy to say I got my 5th quilt top done in so many weeks. Thanks for hosting.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Those penguins are adorable.

Unknown said...

Love your fabric choices!!

Jenny said...

Great little pouches - well done.

I've said it before - reading your Finished on Friday link-up really makes my weekend. I live in New Zealand so we are a little ahead in the time zone to USA. You blog arrives here on Saturday morning, so I sit with a coffee,and start reading. Not all at once, of course, but rather like a good book that I can dip into over a the weekend.

Thanks very much for having your link-up available for us all, I really appreciate it, as I'm sure all your other readers do.

Little Quiltsong said...

Beautiful pouches!! Yes, I too love to make bags and pouches for our family and especially love it when they enjoy using them!

KathyinMN said...

Love the sheep one! So adorbs!

Anonymous said...

A pouch for carrying Nerf darts around the house. That made me laugh.

T Smith said...

So fun! I got my book in the mail today! Can't wait to look at it after work!

BearFoot Happenings said...

I thought there was a link to the pouches and now I can't find it. Am I just not seeing it? Thank you! Love these!

margaret said...

How do you get your zipper ends to look so nice? i've tried everything i can think of but they always end up looking/being pinched when i sew the outside and linings to each other.