Friday, September 23, 2016

still running in circles

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

I have another finished quilt to share today. Hurray! I started this quilt in the spring because I was teaching a class in Brainerd on curved piecing. A few weeks ago, I taught the same class in Minneapolis. I'm very glad to have the quilt completed already! There is a tutorial here, if you'd like to give curved piecing a try.
Most (if not all) of the fabrics are 30's prints. That means that the quilt has a vintage feeling already, even though it's new. I love that!
I did a simple stipple over the entire quilt. The batting is 80/20, which is a cotton/poly blend. I like the stitch definition that the batting offers, however I dislike the extra potential for puckers, especially on the back. There were a few close calls, but I think it's pucker free. (Phew!)
 
It does have a fantastic texture already, even though it hasn't been washed yet.
I used a lovely pezzy print on the back. I thought about hoarding it, but it really does work well with this quilt. A bonus, it ties in the binding print I had selected quite nicely. I love it when things fall into place! I made bias binding (just for fun) and machine stitched in on, back and front. (I have a tutorial for machine binding here.)
The finished quilt measures about 56" x 80".  This brings my WIP list down to 11, which feels pretty darn good!

Thanks for all your kind comments here on the blog this week...and thanks to those of you who purchased my most recent pattern. I appreciate your support more than I can say!

How about you? Do you have a finish to share today? If so, please link up! Thanks for joining me for finish it up Friday!

33 comments:

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh I think it's gorgeous! I love the 30's print and the pattern feels like a modern twist on that era of quilting - what a treat :)

Crystal_235 said...

Love the quilt. I live about 35 miles from Brainerd, and never knew you were there :(

Melissa Corry said...

This is so fun!!! Love all of those adorable 30's prints and the wonderful vintage feel it gives it!!! And I have recently found the joy in curved piecing over the last year. I want to design with more curves, as they really are so very much fun and open so many wonderful design possibilities ;)

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful quilt. Love the colors!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Love this finish! The brown prints really adds some interest.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Those are wonderful quilts, your curves are perfect.

Elaine M said...

Lovely quilt and shows off the 30's prints. Well done! I have a bag somewhere and must find them or maybe plaids. Also have the rulers for this quilt. I try to make bias binding all the time. I think it wear better since it has multiple threads crossing the edge instead of one with binding cut with the grain.

Tiffany.TF said...

that is really so beautiful.

Tami Von Zalez said...

I just scored a bunch of retro prints and am looking for the right pattern to showcase them - this just might do the trick. But first, I have to watch your tutorial since I haven't done that type of piecework before.

Cut&Alter said...

What a gorgeous quilt!! The texture is divine. I have just started piecing curved so especially appreciate the link to your tutorial - wonderful that you give the pressing directions for nesting the seams right - thank you!

Bernie Kringel said...

Love the look of this modern piecing with the repro fabrics. How pretty. And another finish!! That was fast.

Sue said...

That is the most gorgeous quilt ever! I love it. Reminds me of the fabric from feedsacks that we use to use for everything! Wish I still had some of those sacks!

Kelly Cline said...

Beautiful! I love 30's prints!

FlashinScissors said...

Your quilt is gorgeous!
I have a pattern for a quilt, with curves. So far I have stitched 4 blocks, so I do have an idea of the work your quilt entailed, but I have never tried stiple quilting .... it looks very tricky ... yours is lovely, well done!
Barbara @ The Flashing Scissors.

Nana said...

Lovely quilt.....love the prints. Wish my curves would end up all the same size so that it would go together so beautifully

Stephanie said...

Love those 30s prints! It's a really nice pairing with those blocks.

Sewing In CT said...

That is a beautiful quilt and I just read the tutorial which is great and very well written. It makes me want to try this - I think I will after I finish some of my wip's!!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Gorgeous quilt and I love the 30's prints. All the parts together are just perfect!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

It's gorgeous! 30s are my favorite prints ever and they look great in this circle pattern!

Christine S said...

This is so pretty!!

Sam said...

The quilt is very pretty. How difficult is it for a novice to try curved piecing?

Unknown said...

Love it

Unknown said...

I love it! not something I would be drawn to but it does. the fabrics you used were just darling. it is a show stopper :).

Nancy in IN said...

This 'running in circles quilt' is differently on my want to do list. I love it. Thank you.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

So pretty with a nice new vintage vibe. I love drunkard's path quilts. Have a few more on my list of projects I'd like to do. Wondering if you'd finish a few of my WIPs when you're done with yours. haha I have way to many tops hanging in the closet because I don't like to machine quilt.

Malinda said...

Another great finish. I love the vintage look.

Kate said...

Congrats on a lovely finish and on almost reaching your goal of 10 WIPs.

KaHolly said...

Better to be running in circles than running with scissors! You quilt is just gorgeous! XO

KathyinMN said...

Really lovely quilt. The quilting design is perfect for it.

SewPsyched! said...

What a happy lovely quilt!!!

Mary Marcotte said...

Those 30's fabrics are so perfect for this design. The whole thing makes me want to snuggle deep. Now if it weren't 97 degrees and humid out...

mangozz said...

I really love this quilt - the colors, the 30s prints and the design too.

sissy said...

I just love this. It makes me think of momma. Almost feels like she went to the old trunk and pulled it out. I may have to copy this. It has made me feel happy and sad. I can almost detect that clean but stored fragrance that it would have.