Friday, February 05, 2016

practicality and a pink patchwork pincushion

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
This week I finished knitting a rag rug runner. The idea behind this project was to have a place for my kids' boots to dry after they go out sledding. You know...somewhere other than directly in front of the door. I love that my kids aren't too old for sledding yet, even though one of them is taller than I am! They certainly make good use of the hill in our back yard. It's so great!
When I first bound off the rug, it was a few inches too short. Since perfect is better than finished (how many times do you hear that??? hahaha!) I put it back on the needles and knit several more rows. Now, it fits 3 pairs of boots nicely. I love that this is not only a good scrap buster, but it's so practical! It's scrap project # 124!

The rug measures about 15'' x 29''. There is a tutorial here, if you care to try your hand at making one of your own. (For this rug, I cast on 28 stitches on size 17 US needles and I used one strand of fabric "yarn" that was cut about 3/4"-7/8" wide.) If you don't knit, but you can crochet, you may want to check out this tutorial instead.
Another practical project this week was sewing up some cloth napkins from the stash. I used up some fabric that I don't really LOVE, but I don't hate, either. (Sometimes it's a fine line, right?) I cut the fabric 18" square, and hemmed the edges. Nothing fancy, but they were quick and we will use them! PLUS, I busted 2 1/2 yard of my stash. That's a great thing!
My daughter got pink eye this week....so I've had pink on the brain. (What can I say, inspiration comes from the strangest places!) I thought about making a pink pillow, but that would take too long, so a pink patchwork pincushion was the next obvious choice. Ha!
I love that little strawberry so much! The patchwork squares finish at 1'' each! The pincushion is about 4" square. It's scrap project #125!

Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks for joining me for finish it up Friday!

32 comments:

Mari said...

Pink is one of my favorite colors, so I love that pincusion! The rug is also great--very creative!

Crystal_235 said...

Love the rug! Going to have to start saving strips to make one.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love your mat! I have a selvage collection...ideas are percolating...

Cut&Alter said...

Love, love, love the rug!!! I tried to crochet one similar but it hurt my hands to much so I got a peg loom .... which is just sitting doing nothing. You have inspired me to get it out and use up my real skinny scraps.

em's scrapbag said...

The rag rug is fabulous!

SewPsyched! said...

So productive! The Hubster leaves his shoes directly in front of the door every time he comes in ;) I think a dedicated rug will be just the thing! As always, so enjoying your work and the inspiration you bring :)

Sarabeth said...

silly question but... how do you put a knit project back on the needles after you bind off? and isn't the old end row noticeable?
--sarabeth in Mass.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

The rug and the pincushion are both perfect! Rag rugs are so precious, I really need to make one.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Pink eye to pink pincushion, LOL, inspiration truly does come from interesting places!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I love the look of rag rugs but have no idea how to knit nor the motivation to learn. Looks like a good use for snow boots. Does it count that I still like to sled?

Noblequilts@gmail.com said...

I love the simple quilting on the pin cushion.

Janet said...

Great rug!

Jen Shaffer said...

Some day I am going to learn to knit. Or crochet. Or both. Love that rug!

Christine S said...

Great rug! And that pincushion is SO cute :)

Anonymous said...

I love the colors splayed out in your fabric napkins. They make me smile.
Mindingmomma at AOL dot com

Vanessa F said...

I love that rag rug! Very cheery. It made me think of the Pendleton Woolen Mill's outlet store and their Wooly Worms (blanket selvages). I have to get some and make my own rugs~

Emma said...

I'm totally in love with the Rag Rug, I really must get around to making one today.

liniecat said...

yes I also love the rug - a joy to look even if its soggy!

Suzanne said...

I love the line about perfect and finished. Sometimes good enough is a means to thwart myself. Nice finishes.

Unknown said...

I love the napkins!

Needled Mom said...

The pincushion is so cute, but I love that rug.

Empress Charlotte Handmades said...

Love the rug! If there was a rug that magically absorbed sand from the sandbox I would be all over it! :)

ChezVies said...

That rug is really great. but is there any other method than knitting or crochet? :D . I do make napkins from my "not so favorite" fabrics too!! and the pin cushion, you can never have enough...esp cute one like that!!

pj said...

How do I find pattern #125 for the pin cushion?

Becky said...

I love those rugs--they are just so sturdy and last forever. Such a cute pin cushion! I really, really need to use up more of my scraps. Seems like every time I start a "scrap" project I end up buying more fabric to add to the project and end up with even MORE scraps than when I started.

Leanne said...

You are such a scrap using inspiration. I have to make more napkins, the cloth ones I made some years ago are falling to ribbons and I have not added enough new ones lately.

Katherine said...

Pretty and practical wins in my book. Every. Time. :o)

Love that rag rug and crushing on that little pinnie. So sweet!

Wishing you some happy sewing this weekend.

Dresses and Spurs said...

That pin cushion is so adorable! I just love it! I think it just might be the pink inspiration I need to make a few sewing room things for my mom for Mother's day! It's never too early to start right?! :)
Thanks so much Amanda.

Jeneta said...

I LOVE your rug!! I kind of wish that we had snow right now (we don't ever get snow here!) - it is forecast to be 107F for the next few days. Oh yes - definitely a fine line when it comes to fabric love!

Lara B. said...

Oh my - you made me laugh Amanda Jean when you said you got the inspiration for the pretty pink pincushion form your daughter having pink eye. I hope she is doing much better now.
That rug is just too cute for boots!

colleen said...

I do like your rug. I tried making a crocheted rug but it was not comfortable to my bare feet so I remade it (yes ripped it back in to yarn) and got an "idiots guide book on knitting" I know the basic knitting stitch but I had to learn to cast on. I gave that rug away now I am going to make me a scrap rug.
My guess is you are using straight of grain fabrics for the most part (rather than bias strips) so what about all those strings? Do you just give the rug a string cut every so often and when you wash it?

Love Of Quilts said...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!