Monday, November 30, 2015

cafe umbrellas quilt

This quilt has been finished since July...and I've had it back in hand for a few weeks already, but I never found the time to blog about it. (It's so difficult not to share things in real time!) This one was named by my friend Stephanie...who thought it looked like café umbrellas. Isn't that a fitting name?(Thank you, Stephanie!)
All of the fabrics in the front of the quilt are from my good neighbors fabric line. (I added solid white, which is also from Connecting Threads.) The idea was to design a block where the stripes make a diamond design. There is quite a bit of extra fabric leftover because the triangles are cut twice on the diagonal (rather than once) so the stripes form the pattern. The fabulous free-motion quilting was done by Steffani K. Burton. She does SUCH a nice job!
I have big plans for the leftover triangles...they will be some sort of flying geese some day. Probably in another year or two! Ha!
For the backing, I used 8 different 1/2 yard fabrics from my stash in colors that match the front of the quilt. There was a lot of auditioning to get just the right mix, but it was worth it! I love using up stash for quilt backs.
Polka dots, pigs and stripes...
 ...more polka dots in various sizes and a fun text print.
The scale of the teal dots (also from the good neighbors line) work so well for binding!
I thought twice about using this large gray dot on the back, because I wanted to hoard it until the end of time...but the scale was too perfect not to use! I'm glad that I did use it. After all, that's what the fabric is for, right? (I need the reminder sometimes!)
I really enjoyed piecing this quilt! It was fun to make something a little more traditional and I love the secondary design that the blocks make. There is a pattern for the café umbrellas quilt here, if you are interested. Connecting Threads has kits for this quilt on sale (today only!) for 50% off while supplies last. It's a great bargain!
The quilt measures 59 1/2" x 76 1/2", which is a nice lap size. It's nice and bright and cheery, unlike the weather today. :)

Happy Monday to you!

27 comments:

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Awesome! The name is perfectly fitting. I just picked up a bunch of your line from CT this morning along with a lot of fabric on sale. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Suzanne said...

That last photo is a great twofer—the quilt and a scrappy rug. So much joy is wrapped up in your finishes.

Bethany said...

Great colors!!!

Unknown said...

I just ordered your fabric from Connecting threads - can't wait to get it, now I am going to have to get the pattern , ha ha . great job.

Lorri said...

Wonderful use of colors. I love the pattern!

happyallthetime said...

I ordered the kit, you're right, it's a great deal.
I make lots of quilts, but I have never made a quilt from a kit, so I'm hoping it will work out! I don't do so good following the rules. We shall see what happens.

Beth said...

I love how you utilized the stripes!! This just says "fun" to me.

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt! Your friend's name is perfect for it, too.

Jenny said...

What a lovely quilt - such pretty colours.

KaHolly said...

Another beauty!

Heide said...

What a super fun quilt! Great fabrics and fun colors. Love how you pieced the backing together.

Kate said...

Beautiful quilt and the name is perfect.

Scorpie said...

Thanks for the link to CT for the kit. Went over there and bought the kit. What a great kit and great price.

Lynn said...

Lovely quilt...the colors are perfect.

Lyndsey said...

Another fabulous quilt. I love the colours and the fabrics you used for the backing.

Daytona Damsel said...

perfect pattern for your fabric. Loce the bright happy colors.

Sandy Panagos said...

Everything about this quilt is darling! What a great use of stripes. The backing is perfect! The binding ties it all together. Anyone would love this quilt.

Lorinda said...

Everything about this quilt is adorable! Great work!

Dolly said...

I bought the pirhouettes quilt kit from CT during their sale last week, and was tickled to discover that it got me nearly the ntire collection of Good Neighbors fat quarters for only $23. and change ! Good stuff !th

Dolly said...

Sorry about the errors, but for some reason, my comments don't show while I am typing them. They're INVISIBLE !LOL ! This one too ! They only show after they're published !

Karen said...

Another real beauty! Just love your good neighbors :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Hoarding until the end of time--haha. I have a few fabrics like that. In 2016 I'm using them up!! Love this quilt. And love that I was standing next to it when Stephanie came up with the fabulous name!

Unknown said...

Love the text print, it's all places in Paris, I think? Fitting that it would go on the back of "Cafe Umbrellas" as those are seen at the street cafes there. Isn't it interesting that you finished this quilt in the wake of the terrorism there?

Di~ said...

L-O-V-E everything about this quilt!

Judy @ Sew Some Sunshine said...

Great quilt, love these colors and your fabric!

Heather Pregger said...

Beautiful quilt! I always love your color palette and the way you mix prints!

Debora Exum said...

What a great way to use those stripes. I tend to shy away from stripes for anything but binding. Thanks for the inspiration to be a little more brave about that. Love the colors, too.