Friday, October 23, 2015

the frugal gal mini quilt

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

Thank you all so much for your kind comments about my crazy little half square triangle project last week! And thank you to those of you who weighed in on whether I should turn it into a pillow or mini quilt. In the end, I decided on a mini...for practicality reasons. I couldn't imagine letting anyone lay down on this! I'm happy to report that it is already hanging on my sewing room wall.
This piece is heavily quilted with a 1/2'' diamond pattern, which creates a beautiful texture. Since it only measures 20 1/4" x 20 1/2", it didn't take that long to quilt it. I love that about smaller quilts! Last evening my silly middle child was joking that he wanted to snuggle under it, so he tried, but it only covered one arm and part of his chest. Of course then he commented on how warm he was. I think he might be crazier than I am! :) For a split second I thought about how cool a LARGE scale quilt like this would be, but then I came back to reality. We have plenty of other large quilts to snuggle under. Plenty!
I used a subtle binding to finish it off, as to not detract from the tiny triangles. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out! This is scrap project #112.

The best part is...with this finish I am down to only (ha!) 20 works in progress. This past summer I had 25 WIPs, so that's pretty exciting!

Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you for joining me for finish it up Friday!

29 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

Amanda, this is so awesome!!!! Those HST's are like miniscule, so cute!!! Love the quilting you did, just perfect!!!

Lorna McMahon said...

Oh my! This turned out super cute. Love that diamond grid quilting!

Cut&Alter said...

Just LOVE this finish!!! Since I saw it in progress I have been thinking about something similar and just found by little triangle scraps this morning whilst tidying up my studio .... they're not quite as small as yours though!

Nicole said...

Beautiful! Love, love, love the straight lines and the crosshatch that they form. Bravo!

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

I love it!The little pops of color make me keep looking at it. I am glad you turned it into a wall hanging - I would have done the same.

Jill Fisher said...

How fun! I love how those little bits are sparkling!

Unknown said...

I'm in love with this one. It's truly like a little work of art.

Laura said...

Love the quilting design you chose! Also, your scrap management lecture last Saturday at our Quilt Show was great! I loved seeing your projects in person as well as hearing your stories as to how your blog and book came to be.

Kelly Cline said...

Love that quilt and especially the diamond quilting! Such texture!!!

Debora Exum said...

I cannot get over how tiny tiny those triangles are. What a fun project. No, I will not go through my sewing room trash. No, I will not. No, no, no, she says with much doubt in her voice. Thanks for sharing.

Karisma said...

What a lovely finish! The quilting on this project makes it so special! Thank you so much for hosting the link up. I always get to see so many new and interesting projects that other people are working on! Aloha.

Jess Pugh said...

I LOVE this! Those tiny triangles I just love them, what a great finish!

the zen quilter said...

I love this too1 The square colors, the tiny HSTS, and the quilting is perfection - Awesome job!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I just adore this! I agree the quilting is perfect!

Kris said...

It is hard to draw the line somewhere in the scrap pile! this is adorable and love the quilting

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

This turned out great! I'm always amazed at the ideas you have for your small scraps.

GranthamLynn said...

Gorgeous. Love it. Have a great party.

KathyinMN said...

This is awesome.

Debbie said...

Love the mini and your teeny piecing!

SarahZ said...

Haha! That is exactly what I thought, "How could she let anyone lay on that as a pillow!?" And your binding is maybe my fave print from your collection! Just a wonderful little finish! :)

KaHolly said...

It came out wonderfully! No scrap too small!

P11otter said...

Very beautiful, i love everything about this quilt! Beautiful stich work!

Unknown said...

This mini quilt is so lovely, your quilting is so well made, I love all on it!

Paige said...

Especially love the diamond crosshatch quilting, I will have to try that. Lovely finish!

Unknown said...

I love the way it turned out!! I really like how you quilted it, I really like the diamonds.

SheriR said...

I love it! But I seem to be drawn to minis right now. They make such great "done" projects and allow me to practice and try new free motion ideas. Cross hatch diamonds....LOVE them. I sure get good ideas from you. Thanks!

Cathy L said...

The quilt is adorable and so is the quilting. Will you post a tutorial sometime on how to do the diamond quilting? It is stunning.

Rene' said...

The diamond cross hatch quilting is so cool! Love that binding fabric...where can I find it...oh wait...haha... It's perfect! xoxoxo

SarDee said...

It's been years since I've commented but I just had to say that this one just topped my list of must do quilts!! I love the little half-square triangle insanity.. :-)