Thursday, October 22, 2015

just four fun

This is a simple little quilt made up of 4 patch blocks, but sometimes simple is good! This quilt can be made from fat eighths, scraps, a charm pack, a few mini charm packs OR a combination of all 4. Plus, you only need 1 1/2 yards of background fabric! For the quilt shown, I used good neighbors fabric and white background fabric, both from Connecting Threads. It is quilted with an all over loop pattern. The quilt finishes at 42" x 48", so it's a nice baby size.
For the backing I used this lovely orange dear stella print that was aging nicely in my stash. I like it a lot! I finished things off with a sunny yellow striped binding.
Mary tested the pattern for me and she used 4 April Showers mini charm packs to make her quilt. She added wide borders (cut at 4 3/4") to make it into a lap size quilt. I thought that was a great idea! Thanks, Mary, for testing my pattern and for letting me share your beautiful quilt!

I have a free pattern here, if you'd like to make one of your own--without having to do the math! :)

24 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I love a simple quilt like this. I already downloaded it from Craftsy :-) thanks!

tabbiegirl said...

Sometimes I forget just how wonderful simple quilts can be!

Preeti said...

Simple is really the best. And it shows off the "Good Neighbors" line.

Little Quiltsong said...

Thank You Amanda!! Love both quilts! Love how bright your fabrics are with just the white background. Beautiful!!

Lyndsey said...

What a pretty quilt, I love it.

Julie Bagamary said...

Beautiful!!

skrawek tęczy said...

Piękny quilt!Podziwiam!

Sue said...

Totally adorable!! Wouldn't it be cute in pinks for a little girls baby quilt... putting it on my to do list for great grandbabies... ( we had 3 great grandson due with in the next 7 months..... I need easy cute quilts.

Pascale said...

Your pattern is really nice and easy, beautiful! I would love to win it if I get the chance.
Pascale

Heide said...

What a fun quilt! Love all the bright colors and your fab backing! Thanks for the pattern.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Simple and sweet! Looks great in your new fabric line!

Di~ said...

There is a whole lotta cuteness going on in this sweet post! :) "aging nicely" I LIKE that!

Tracybug Creative said...

So much fun! :) love it!!

margaret said...

scraps and charm packs can make such delicious quilts loving these

Anonymous said...

Such a fresh, happy quilt. I love the simplicity of the design and the balance of the soft colours. A beautiful quilt - love it!

Karen @runsewfun said...

Thanks for sharing the math for this darling pattern.

Sewmotion said...

You're so right, sometimes simple is best, and these quilts are gorgeous!

tisha @ quiltytherapy said...

Love simple quilts.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

What a sweet way to make use of a charm pack. I laughed at your reference to fabric aging nicely in your stash. If only I could drink my stash I'd have a grand party with all my nicely aged fabrics.

FlourishingPalms said...

Simple is so effective, Amanda Jean, and you've done a great job of making this quilt sing. I love your Good Neighbors collection, which I now have in my stash. Questions for you... I noticed your backing is orange - and a bright one at that! Do you have any problem with shadowing? Seeing that orange color through the batting to the white background fabric of the quilt front? I've avoided using medium or dark prints as backing when the front has so much white. Or do you think it depends on the batting you use? I use, almost exclusively, Quilter's Dream (the good stuff), but still hesitate for fear of shadowing. Do you have any thoughts on that subject?

Kay said...

I love simplicity and it is good to occasionally put something together quickly too. x

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

This is a great quilt. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Karen said...

l just love how you paired up all the good neighbor fabrics in this quilt. It's almost like you had a plan to use them in quilts :)

Unknown said...

What a great simple and fresh design! Love the cheery fabrics you chose.