Monday, July 13, 2015

sewing up a (small) storm

Last weekend was my Gruber's retreat weekend with some dear friends. It was filled with laughter and shopping and eating and sewing and very little sleeping....just like a retreat should be!

I'm not quite sure how it all came about, but at some point during the weekend, someone threw down a micro quilt challenge. And, to quote my daughter, "I wouldn't say no!" There was much discussion as to what a micro quilt is. In the end, we decided that it had to be under 4" finished on each side and fully bound. One clarification...it is even smaller than a coaster!
This is what I came up with for my micro quilt, which is yet unnamed. :) It measures 3" x 3.25" and is fully bound! I used a single fold binding and put my "how to bind tiny things" tutorial to the test. I'm happy to say it worked! (Phew!!!) I sure love taking crazy to new levels!!! :)
My friend Doris took the challenge as well. Her quilt is on the left. Look at those cute little flying geese! Her micro quilt is even smaller...measuring 3" x 2 7/8"...and has double fold binding! Impressive! There was no winner or loser in the challenge...we did it just for fun!
I had the chance to be a personal fabric shopper for my friend, Michelle, who doesn't like fabric shopping. (I don't understand what that means, so please don't ask! Hahaha!) She gave me a certain dollar amount to spend on fabric that I would normally pick for myself. It was good that she emphasized that I should select things I would normally pick for myself, because I kept thinking of what her preferences might be. In the end, I liked my selections so much that I bought one stack for her AND one stack for me!! It was a fun experiment and thankfully she was happy with my selections. We are already planning on doing it again next year! I can't wait!
I dream of having a stack of 20 quilts just sitting around waiting for me to hand stitch the binding. (I really AM crazy, huh???) Well, I'm 3/20 of the way to my dream, apparently! I did a whole lot of sewing, quilting, binding making and knot burying this weekend. But, I don't intend to let them sit unfinished for long-I'm soooo ready for some quilt finishes!

This was our group this year: (Left to right) Me, Rene, Doris, Mary, Michelle, Terri, Cindy, Shelly and Stephanie. I'm so thankful for the chance to hang out and sew with these lovely ladies and I miss them already!

Happy Monday to you!

31 comments:

Linda said...

You always look so cute! Love that dress. :)

Leanne said...

I know some of your group, I am certain it was the best time.

Debbie said...

I know some of your group too and had the pleasure of meeting up at QuiltCon. I especially love your micro challenge!

Michelle said...

I had such a great time this weekend!! Thank you for being my personal shopper 😉 I love everything you purchased for me!! I can't wait to see what you pick for me next year!! 😘😘😘

Rike Busch said...

The micro challenge is really a funny idea. Love it! And you have a quilting friend, who doesn't like to shop fabric? That cannot be true.... *ggg* I don't like shopping clothes. but fabrics? I cannot resist any patchwork shop at all. :D what a luck for you that you HAD to go shopping. ;)
Greetings, Rike

Gina said...

Glad you had a great time. Those Micro quilts are awesome. I am always in awe of anyone who can work that small

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun! And I love the stack of fabrics you choose for your shopping "challenge" - and as for the mini quilt, it's a coaster for a doll's house? or maybe for a glass of champagne!

Susan said...

I think that idea of fabric shopping could catch on! I think I have too many fabrics that look the same. It would be a great way to 'mix things up'! And getting to shop with someone else's money- priceless!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Sounds like tonnes of fun as well as being very productive!

Unknown said...

Flying goslings, perhaps?

Poppyprint said...

What a great retreat gang!! "I don't know what that means so don't ask me" The BEST line. So glad you had fun and managed to be so productive as well!!

gigi said...

I'm still struggling with the quilter who doesn't like to fabric shop. Might not be able to get over that one. :) It's really the only kind of shopping I DO like.

Brianna S said...

I have to know---what is that adorable map fabric you chose?

Brooke said...

such a fun time!
the mini challenge is very impressive!!
thanks again for chatting and letting me hangout with the group - I enjoyed it!!
happy rest of the summer!

Suzanne said...

Oh, come on Amanda! You can go smaller than that! Wink, wink! I'm awaiting your next turn at quilt limbo.

On a practical note, can't you just see those with pin backs on them?

Jayne said...

It looks like fun was had by all! How great your friend had a personal fabric shopper!

SarahZ said...

How fun your mini quilts are amazing! And fabric shopping for a friend? Get out!! :)

the zen quilter said...

You make me want to go on a quilt retreat - I haven't been on one for years! also, you are a little nuts to make those minis but they are super cute. And last, I want a friend like that who will let me spend her money on fabric! I like the ones you bought, too.

Cathy said...

What a great group. I know a couple of them. My quilters envy is showing. Hugs

Diane said...

The micro quilts are so cute! And how fun to shop with someone else's money! What is the green topographic fabric? I love it!

Daytona Damsel said...

Sounds, and looks, like everyone had a great time. Someone needs to do an intervention on your friend that doesn't like fabric shopping. LOL Micro minis WOW you are truly an inspiration. Debbie

Phantom said...

Your tiny quilts remind me of how we used to "requisition" small things for our Barbies. Those dolls would have loved those quilts.

Cut&Alter said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I've only been on one quilt retreat and it was amazing - just talking about it last night in fact!

Unknown said...

I would love to know what fabrics are in that stash (except for the red and yellow ones!)

beth s said...

Micro quilt=GREAT idea! What a fun challenge.

Plum Cox said...

Micro quilts?!? Oh yes! I need to go and make one!

Thimbleanna said...

You guys look so cute -- looks like such a fun group. Especially that wild Stephanie on the end LOL!!!

Terri said...

It was so wonderful spending the weekend with you and the rest of our group at our annual retreat! I am so thankful to have you as a friend! It was great fun watching you and Doris work on your micro quilt challenge - both of your micros turned out so adorable! How fun to get to shop for Michelle! Great fabric choices.

margaret said...

how good to have just a fun time with stitchy friends, well impressed with the two tiny quilts, small is much harder I find and that small impossible. Love the fabric buy especially the one on the right, might just have to look out for some of that too

Anonymous said...

So glad to find another Minnesota Quilter! Going to go try your binding tiny things tutorial now. :)

Tracybug Creative said...

Great haul you got there for Michelle! 👍🏻