Friday, May 22, 2015

catching up on bee blocks

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

This week I caught up on my bee block commitments. While it's not a big finish, it still feels pretty darn good! I know I said this before, but seriously, how do the months fly by so fast?!?!
These X and plus blocks are for Doris. She has a great tutorial here for making a 15" finished block. I didn't rush the fabric selection, so making the block took me awhile. I think that it paid off in the end...I'm quite happy with how it turned out! Selecting fabric with significant contrast is crucial.
Since I was/am so late, I decided to make another one...for penance sake. :) This one came together much more quickly than the first. I can see why these blocks are so popular...they are so fun to make! I am very relieved, though, that I don't feel the need to make a whole quilt of them. You know?
This block is for Michelle, who is making a friendship quilt. She gave us free reign to make any block that we wanted to...something that is special to us. I'm still crushing on pineapple blocks (and they lend themselves to scrappy so well) so it was an easy choice for me. I used my pineapple block tutorial, which you can find here. This was very fun to make, too! This block will finish at 12" square.

So, that's all I've got for this week! I hope you had a successful week finishing something...anything! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday! For those of you in the States, have a safe and great Memorial Day weekend!

17 comments:

Kim said...

Love your bee blocks!

Quilts and Such said...

Awesome as always! Did you ever get your room cleaned?

Quilting Stories said...

Wonderful blocks!

Anonymous said...

Your bee blocks turned out great! I've always loved the plus/x blocks.

Debbie said...

Personally I love the x and + blocks and just HAD to make a whole quilt from them! ;-)

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

I need to file away that tutorial, those blocks are so pretty! Love the little bird fabric. :)

Lorna McMahon said...

Your blocks are certainly sweet.... Especially that scrappy Pineapple. Have a restful and happy Memorial weekend and thanks for hosting!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Wow! Your blocks are so pretty! Such precision.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love your blocks! Seeing your post has persuaded me my nest week must be those pineapples :)

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great Bee blocks!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh they all look fantastic! I don't think I feel a burning need to make any X quilts, but the more I see of those pineapple blocks the more I know a pineapple quilt has to be my future!

Patricia said...

Love the blocks and the bright colors!

Rene' said...

All three blocks are great! You got to use scraps for them all too...bonus! I just now decided on my block for Michele...now to make it. I have a small finish for this week if I can get around to publishing a blog post. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

margaret said...

very colourful bee block and the pineapple one too has worked so well only ever made one pineapple block and said never again!

Pam said...

Love the Bee blocks. The pineapple blocks are always my favorite! Your block is beautiful!

Tracybug Creative said...

Pineapple is so ridiculously awesome! 😍

Thimbleanna said...

Super Cute blocks CrazyMom! I've been wanting to make some of those X-blocks -- someday! {Sigh.}