I'm happy to report that I finished the custom (king size!) quilt last Saturday-a full 3 days ahead of schedule! You can read more about the project here, if you'd like. I think it turned out pretty well!
Doing the math, piecing and cutting: 14 hours 45 minutes
Piecing the back: 1 hour
Basting: 2 hours
Quilting: 8 hours 20 minutes
Making binding and attaching it by machine: 1 hour 35 minutes
Hand stitching the binding to the back: 6 hours
Labeling: 20 minutes
For a total of 34 hours!!!
edited to add: It has been brought to my attention that my math was wrong...and I originally forgot to list the two hours for basting. The correct totals are shown above. It adds up to only 34 hours! Not 42 hours. (good grief! apparently all that power quilting has fried my brain!)
The biggest surprise to me was the quilting time. I never-in my wildest dreams- thought I would quilt a king size quilt on my home sewing machine IN ONE DAY! I paid for it physically, though. I was hurting for the next few days. I'm sure you can imagine! (Because I know someone will ask....I quilted it on my JUKI, and no, I don't use a frame.) After a few bobbins-when I was quite comfortable with the quilting pattern-I was able to quilt quite FAST. This pattern seems to turn out better at a faster speed than at a slower speed anyway. Bonus! Also, I may have been a LITTLE determined to get it done. :) Another thing I did to save time was to keep an eye on my bobbin. I switched them out at the ends of the rows before they ran out completely. I didn't have as many knots to bury and that all helps in the end.
This is my largest quilt finish to date. It measures a whopping 100" x 110". I'm so, so happy it's done! It will be a fun one to deliver!
Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks for joining me for finish it up Friday!