Thursday, January 02, 2014

hello 2014

Happy New Year to you and yours! I hope you had a wonderful holiday. My kids are in school today and I'm ready to get back to sewing 9 hours a day. (Ha!) Last evening was probably my favorite part of our entire Christmas break. It was a chilly -2 degrees, but my family and I went out for a walk on the lake anyway. We had a nice time winding down, just being together. I sure love them!
A bonus from the walk was this snapshot that my son took of me and my husband. (We have very few photos of us together.) He's a good man and I love him so much!
 
Looking back at 2013....

My goals were:

-I would like to get better at giving my quilts away.
                I didn't keep track, but I can recall giving away at least 7 quilts. Not bad, but I'd like to continue to work on this.


-I would like to keep writing patterns and work up the nerve to sell them wholesale.
                 I released 5 new patterns last year and filled a few wholesale orders. (To be honest, I really didn't think the wholesale one would happen, so that's a nice surprise!) I also hired a designer to revamp my pattern design, which was a great decision.


-I plan to host a quilt along (or two). It's been too long and I miss it!
                I did not do this. Although I kind of tried with my mini nines?


-I have a fun idea for a blog series I'd like to start.
                I don't recall what this was going to be, but I started my 101 scrap project series, so we will call it done!


 -I hope to get my act together and teach an online quilting class.
              No, this did not happen. I totally forgot about it. doh!


 And, not so much a goal...but I really, really hope we sell our house. Soon.
              We sold our home in May and moved back to Minnesota. So thankful that the move is behind us! It only took 7 months after the move for me to feel normal again. :)


So, we moved, I finished a total of 25 quilts (including my scrap vortex!!!) and I ended the year with less than 10 WIPs. (The WIP part-that's fairly amazing!) I even worked up the nerve to list a few quilts for sale. I had the opportunity to teach in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Iowa and Colorado. (I love that I get to do that!) Oh, and I joined the Minneapolis Modern Quilt Guild, too. (Pretty excited about that!) All in all, a good year.

Looking ahead to 2014.....

I've recently heard that the more specific the goals, the better. I guess that makes sense, so I'm trying that this year.

-I would like to make some quilts for family. I have 4 in mind for my in-laws and a quilt for my older brother. One for my dad, too! (That's 6!)

-I'd like to make/give more charity quilts. (I'm thinking at least 6.)

-I need to do some serious stash busting (always!). To be specific, it would be great if ALL my quilting fabric could be contained in my cutting table.  (That's a lofty one!) I'll need to do some fast sewing and not much buying!

-I'd like to keep working on patterns. Print and PDF. Wholesale. Maybe even distributors this year!

-And, I'd like to continue to try to work on the family life vs. work life balance. It's always a struggle to balance the two, but it's definitely worth working on!

Here's to a wonderful New Year!
See you tomorrow for finish it up Friday!

32 comments:

Glinda ♥ said...

What an adorable photo :)

2013 was a pretty good year, hey? I think 2014's going to be a great one. Happy New Year :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Lovely pictures! You did so well with your goals. Happy 2014!

Svetlana said...

great goals, happy 2014!

Mari said...

Sounds like a good and busy last year. Good luck with Your goals for this year, too. My promise for this year was to give more feedback for my favourite bloggers (doing good so far) instead of just reading and leaving.

Rene' said...

Great post Amanda! You accomplished quite a bit in 2013 and know 2014 will be awesome for you as well. Wishing you all the best in this new year. I can't believe your kids are already back to school.

Fran said...

What a cute cute quilt!

Moneik said...

Great job! I'm sure you'll do well on your new goals as well.

Mama Urchin said...

Happy New Year! Did your kids go back to school today? I hope you are all well and have a happy and healthy 2014!

Marie said...

so, since it's going to be cold enough for the next 7 days .. you'll probably knock off at least 1/2 of your list! thanks for sharing your hard work with the rest of us!

Richard Wesley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suzanne said...

I love watching you meet the goals you set and the ones that life sets for you. I dream of finishing up my quilting WIPS before starting any new ones. I have not bought fabric in a while and I have a plan to make some fabric goodness for a craft swap I'm in. I need to make 8 of something. We should talk. I would love to pick your brain. :-)

Enjoy your nine hours of sewing.

PS. So nice to see K on the blog!

Timi said...

Happy New Year!!!
Lovely photos!!! :o)

Vera said...

I'm not having any goals but good luck with yours! Happy New Year!

Tennjenny said...

Happy New Year! Fantastic picture -- he looks like a nice guy. :-)

Helen said...

To help you with one of your 2014 goals - Charity quilts do not have to be elaborate, huge projects. The best ones are the simple quilts made with much love. I take several to Mayo Clinic/St. Mary's Hospital Pediatric Infusion Therapy Unit (kids' chemo) almost every time I go to the clinic for my own care. In November, I took 12! I make them in varying sizes and boy/girl themes and use scraps too. The quilts are given to the little and big patients during their chemo treatment for them to keep. Okay, so my grown-up kids haven't gotten a quilt yet but these charity quilts give me much joy as I sew. They are great therapy for me and remind all of my family that we are fortunate with our healthy grandchildren.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! What a great photo. I went snow shoeing yesterday too. It is amazing how warm a person can stay if they keep moving even in this cold weather. You don't dare s top though! :-)

Cristina said...

Nice to meet you Mr. Nyberg! Happy New Year!

Turid said...

Happy New Year! And thanks for all the joy and fun you give us!

Jeneta said...

Such a lovely photo of you and your husband. I can't believe you finished 25 quilts!!! What a great year you have had - I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog and look forward to 2014!

Linda said...

What great pix! I've been inspired this year to try and set a few goals. I always get sidetracked, though, so we will see how it goes. Maybe if I post them on my blog I might actually feel more like I have some accountability, LOL.

Michelle@factotum-of-arts.com said...

I love your goals, especially the last one as I think this is definitely a struggle and will be one of my goals as well. Good luck for 2014.

S Staum said...

I so enjoy your photos and your posts . Here's to a great new year! You certainly accomplished a lot in 2013!

S Staum said...

I so enjoy your photos and your posts . Here's to a great new year! You certainly accomplished a lot in 2013!

S Staum said...

I so enjoy your photos and your posts . Here's to a great new year! You certainly accomplished a lot in 2013!

Carla said...

What a great post rehearsing your 2013 goals and evaluating each! You certainly accomplished a lot and I know that 2014 will be even better!

MariQuilts said...

Wow....you had one busy year!! Here's to a wonderful 2014!!

Pickletoes Quilts said...

Looks like you had a great year! Here's to 2014!

house on hill road said...

Happy New Year, Amanda!

Sarah @ sarahquilts.com said...

Great work!! Keep it up. 25 is both ridiculous and amazing. :)

Anne said...

love this! makes me want to write some of my own... :)

Nita said...

I love your quilts, they are all so bright and cheerful! Happy New Year!

Melodee said...

What a great goal list for 2014. Excited about a few of your goal i.e. Quilt Alongs. My list is almost opposite of yours, I have given away almost all of the quilts I have made (but I don't regret the smiles I got in return) 2014 is the year I am making quilts for me! After I make yet another baby quilt for one of our employees - I have a rep to maintain. Here's to making goals - of any kind!