Friday, October 25, 2013

sweet and sassy finish

Welcome to finish it up Friday!
I have been feeling wiped out this week, so working on a baby quilt was just the ticket. I probably say this every time I make a baby quilt (which isn't very often), but I forget how fun and FAST they are. On Monday I basted. Tuesday morning I quilted. Wednesday I added the binding by machine. Thursday I hand stitched down the binding. Today I get to share my finish! :)
For the backing I used a gray Ta-dot by Michael Miller. I'm still kind of shocked that I used it rather than hoarding it 'til the end of time. (I really love this fabric!)
For quilting, I tried a new-to-me thread this time around. I remember Leah Day recommending Isacord thread, so when I saw it at my local sewing center I knew I had to try it. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by the thread. I just looked up her recommendations again this morning and she has a great post about it here. She includes reasons why cotton isn't the only way to go. (Yay!) The thread was less than $6 for 1000 meters AND I can buy it locally. Both great things! My husband groaned when I brought home more thread. Someday I will have to show you my collection....but that's a post for another day.
The finished size is 39" x 44". I am thankful to have one more quilt off of WIP pile, which was about to topple over!
 
Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes. Thanks for joining me for finish it up Friday!

27 comments:

Lauren Deel said...

This is a great quilt! I love how fast baby quilts come together, too - so gratifying to have a quick finish!

Melissa Corry said...

This is just adorable. Love the colors you have brought together :)

Svetlana said...

what a sweet quilt AmandaJean. And thanks for recommending this thread, I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

Turid said...

Nice colours on this quilt! Great with a quilt that can be done in a week. Happy weekend!

Angie in SoCal said...

Such a nice quilt! I like it's simplicity and vibrancy. Thanks for sharing this one - will be my next charity quilt.

ipatchandquilt said...

Great quilt! Love working on baby quilts too,
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

Purple Quilter Queen said...

So cute! That backing is perfect to complement the cross sections on the front. I'm starting to like gray alot more too!

Debbie said...

Darling quilt and that gray Ta Dot is one of my all time favorites!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Such a cute quilt and it does feel great to finish something--not that I'm all that familiar with the feeling...

Julia Graber said...

What a snuggly wonderful quilt. I like the pattern and the colors you have chosen. Thanks for the heads up on Isacord Thread.

CapitolaQuilter said...

I'll have to keep an eye open at my LQS for that thread. Always nice to try new things. Love the quilt and thanks for the link

Gemini Jen NZ said...

The quilt looks great! It reminds me of a lolly (candy/sweet, whatever you would like to call it) that we have here in NZ called Licorice Allsorts, one of my favourite lollies!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Love the blocks-cannot be super hard to make, I imagine. Very pretty color scheme in this one, the gray really adds a lot more than one would think without seeing it in place. thanks for sharing.

Lorna McMahon said...

I was waiting for this one. Great finish Amanda. Love the colour scheme.

Georgi said...

LOVE the baby quilt! Gorgeous happy colors :) I'm on a mission now to find the thread you mentioned ~ I normally use Aurifil but I'd love some other good options ~ thanks!

Our photos said...

Beautiful is the Quilt,Amanda!
Greetings, RW & SK

Jayne said...

It's an adorable quilt! It's also nice to have a fun and fast quilt once in a while too!

Frances Meredith said...

I have been using Isacord for machine embroidery for years and find it to be a great thread, with a lovely range of colours.

Valspierssews said...

Great finish. You certainly did it quick. I don't have any quick quilts on the go but I like to finish something each week.

Karen said...

What a gorgeous quilt. What is the name of the pattern?

Rene' said...

Such a sweet baby quilt. Love the backing fabric you chose. I have some Isacord thread...maybe need to give it another try... Happy weekend!

bec said...

Beautiful! I thought of Liqorice Allsorts as soon as I saw it! Yum....

Annalia said...

Pretty! -and I love those grey dots!

margaret said...

very6 nice quilt for a baby, gave read the article onisacord, not come across then thread before. Afraid I use poly thread to piece with too, cotton thread is so hard to find in the shops here and is so very expensive.

Nicky said...

Your quilt makes me think of liquorice allsorts - yum!

Unknown said...

Lovely baby quilt. The gray ta-dot is ta-die-for.

Jenny Watson Blogs said...

These quilts are looking fantastic, I think you must open your own lovely and cool dress store as you will see there are many online dresses stores
and there you will get many stuff. I hope you will think about it.