Monday, August 27, 2012

our weekend

My family and I had the privilege of spending the weekend in Michigan. Part of it was family vacation, part of it was so I could take part in the summer work party for Margaret's Hope Chest. I got to take in a bit of the quilt show in Grand Rapids, too, which caused me to wonder why on earth I call myself a quilter. Some of those quilts were utterly AmAzInG! They were really fun to see, even if they made me question my abilities. :)

The work party was fabulous! I'm so happy I got to be a part of it!
Here's Carin sharing a story about this beautiful quilt that she reconstructed.
 Jill and Jessica showing off finished quilts. (These ladies sewed FAST!)
More finished quilts....I'm not sure who finished this one...sorry!
I believe that Carol finished this one. That little square turned on point made me smile!
Stephanie's completed quilt. I love her layout!
Evidence of a day well spent. :) I think we finished between 10-15 quilts in about 6 hours! It was fun to meet some new friends and work together for such a worthy cause. These quilts will be donated to kids in need. Thanks again to all who donated blocks and for those to came to help sew up the quilts! It's neat to see what we can do when we work together!

As for the rest of our vacation...
It was so nice to see the beach again. The lake was absolutely gorgeous.
This was at Tunnel Park in Holland...
And in South Haven.
 It was sooo good to go back to visit.
We had some wonderful family time and great weather....
and we enjoyed the beautiful views. We had the chance to spend some time with friends, too, which was wonderful!
Overall it was a great trip...lots of great memories made. (This photo was my husband's idea...and I LOVE it!)

We are so thankful to be home safely! Last night when we were an hour from home we were THIS close to being smashed between a U Haul that was towing a car and a concrete barrier. It was SO scary. Oh-my-goodness!!!! Thankfully it was only a close call. We are so thankful to God for His protection of our family!

One more week of summer 'vacation' left here...I have a feeling it's going to be another CraZy week, but I'm going to try to squeeze in some sewing (and blogging!) too. Here's hoping!!!

Happy Monday to you!

29 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Looks like you had a beautiful weekend with your family Amanda Jean. So glad you made it home safely.

Kim said...

I'm just home from Michigan a week ago and had a really scary near accident too....it is even more terrifying with kids in the car!
I just think people are driving with too many distractions, mostly talking on the phone! Thank goodness we both made it home okay.

Happy sewing

Rachel said...

Beautiful quilts. Vacation photos look relaxing!! SO glad y'all made it home safely!!

Mama Pea said...

It was so good to see you! Seriously. I love that last photo, too. Thanks for introducing me to Margaret's Hope Chest. How amazing. I was so honored to be part of it!

Miss Lola said...

What beautiful quilts! Do you publish a schedule of workshops that you will be at? I'd love to check one out.

PS - Glad you liked Tunnel Park. It's a favorite of mine!

Lynn said...

So thrilled to see the pictures from the MHC work party. Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

It was a wonderful time and so good to hear all the wonderful reasons that everyone helps. So happy to be a part of it. And it was great to see you and reconnect.
Glad you had a safe drive!

Madcap said...

Love that photo! I'm glad you made it home safely.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda -- I thought of your quilting party this past weekend -- thank you for giving your readers the opportunity to help -- and thanks for the photos -- it was neat to see some of my blocks! I'm happy your car was "protected" in that frightening moment! Florence

Fran said...

Glad you are all safe and had a great time.

Maja said...

I´m so glad that the Angels were with you and nothing bad hapend to you and your family.
We all need "our" crazy mom.

Cyn said...

Pretty quilts. The kids will be so thrilled to get them.
Nice vacay - thanks for sharing the pics.

Suzanne said...

I love the family photos. I am the one who regularly captures her family walking away. I don't know what it is about seeing my family lined up but it always makes me happy. Glad you had a great vacation. School's in full session now for two weeks. Enjoy the last days of your summer!

Quilt n Queen said...

So glad you are home safe and sound, those close calls scare the living ca-g-bees out of you! I was sad to miss the workshop, maybe I will be able to attend the next workshop. Looks like you were able to make good use out of all the batting squares I sent with Pam....thanks bunches for signing the books and my Up Up and Away quilt. I have not seen Pam, most likely we will meet up on Wednesday evening quilting! That is a lot of quilting in 6 hours, great team work at the scene and behind the scene, for a very worthy cause. Happy stitching! Pauline

Lea said...

Thank God for His protection on your family! And for family times..and your quilting party... I am also thankful to have gotten the chance to help. Looks like you had a great trip:)

Anita said...

What an awesome weekend! I love the family photos! And I'm so thankful that you weren't squished. My mom & I had a close call with a semi truck and it was scary! Praying for peace amid the crazy this week. :) Hugs!

Annie said...

Looks like you had a great break

Donna said...

I was wondering how your trip to Michigan went. I sent 20 blocks and am delighted to see what you guys made. Such a worthwhile cause. Thank you for bringing me on-board. (Glad you and family are safe. That was scary.)

KateKwiltz said...

Just missed you -- I arrived in South Haven just in time for all the rain Sunday afternoon! Glad you made it home safely!

bethanndodd said...

The perfect weekend combo, sewing with friends along with some family fun. The quilts look great! I even saw a few of my blocks :) So happy your home safe...sounds like your guardian angels where close by. HOpe your last week of summer is fabulous! Smiles~Beth

Mama Spark said...

It was an amazing sewing fest! So happy I could be a part of it. It was great to catch up with you and hear what you have in store for your fans in the future. Loved meeting your family too. Did the little one get her fill of the water park?? We made a lot of quilts and did a lot of talking and laughing all for a good cause. I hope to make it to the next one, hopefully it won't take 2 years before we can do it again!!

Cherie said...

What gorgeous quilts! I love the bright tones in each of them.
So glad to hear you made it back safely =D

Callipygian said...

You realize that many of us see YOUR quilts and wonder if we can consider our own work "quilting" in comparison.

LJ said...

I'm seeing a lot of triangle quilts lately! I even made one earlier this summer. I love your quilt, the fabrics just sing!!

Pat said...

What a great place to spend a week or weekend at. I used to love going to Michigan and especially loved the lake. Now that I am older and on oxygen I am not able to go but still have some great memories. I loved New Buffalo and I have a daughter that lives in Petoskey.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Great quilts and those vacation pictures are fantastic!

Clair said...

Love the last picture!

scholarpon said...

your school Need a fundraiser? check out scholarpon.com

Carol E. said...

It was great to meet you! I had a blast at the work day.