Monday, July 09, 2012

oatmeal quilt

 I finished my oatmeal quilt top.
Again.
I thought I was done with the top a few months ago when it measured about 62" x 72" or so. I was going to baste it, but when I pulled out the quilt top it felt a little too square. I wanted to add more to the front, but I had given most of my neutral scraps to Tara. So what's a girl to do?
I decided to piece the back to make more scraps so I would have more to add to the front. (I. am. crazy.) Actually, it worked out quite well! Having the back made helped me know when to stop adding to the front. Otherwise I could see myself getting sucked into a vicious cycle and ending up with a king size quilt. Or something that would cover half of my neighborhood.
This backing focus fabric is quite funky, I'll admit. I must have been under the influence of Denyse when I bought it. It was right after I had read and absorbed her new book. She can use the most funky (and even ugly) fabric and make it look so good! When I asked Tara what she thought about the plaid fabric, she said it reminded her of 70's leisure suit. Doh! I didn't realize it was THAT bad. But I still loved the fabric for some reason and used it on the back. I'm so glad I did.
This past weekend I was able to quilt it up while I was at the Gruber's quilt retreat. I love how the quilting turned out! I just did rows of e's across the entire quilt. Time consuming, but easy and a great match for the quilt. Now it just needs binding! I'm anxious to get this one finished!
Speaking of the retreat....I'm so thankful that I got to go and sew for the entire weekend! It's my yearly vacation and birthday present all rolled into one. It was so, so good to be able to sew, eat, chat, laugh, shop and spend time with blog friends. This year our group was (back row, L to R) Doris, Michelle, Rene, Terri, Mary, (front row) Cindy, myself and Stephanie. We stayed up way too late and got up way too early so we could sew, sew and sew some more. It was amazing. It was good to go, but it's good to be home, too. Just the way a vacation should be.

Now, I had better get busy. I've got lots of new fabric to sew up! Oh, yeah, and a quilt to finish, too.

22 comments:

Clair said...

It does always feel good to get home:)

beeps said...

I like the funky plaid. I can't wait to see the finished top (and back)!

Hope said...

Haha, I can relate to sewing things in order to make scraps. Sounds daft, but really it's a productive way to sew. :)

Cherie said...

The quilt looks good, amazing how even neutral tones can still stand out =D

Rachel said...

LOL, it looks fabulous! As for the leisure suit reference, well, I hear they are coming back...LOL

nhlady said...

Love the colors in this quilt!

Great job!

Books_Bound said...

"The Quilt That Ate the Neighborhood." Sounds like a children's book. Maybe that can be your next literary endeavor. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,
I'm the winner of the Book in your giveaway.....My emails to you are bouncing back. Please contact me at shadowirsh (at) gmail (dot) com

Thank you

Miss Carol said...

Your title caught my attention. At my house, it would have meant oatmeal was on the quilt.
The quilt is beautiful.

Sarah said...

I like the plaid! You were drawn to it. I think it will make a great backing!! And I love the Oatmeal quilt! I love neutral colorst!

Rene' said...

Your oatmeal quilt turned out beautifully and I absolutely love the plaid backing! It was great seeing your quilting in action! I enjoyed retreating with you again this year at Gruber's ...... Definitely a fun way to spend a birthday vacation!

LimeRiot said...

I love the oatmeal quilt!! The monochromatic color palette is so simple but beautiful. What great inspiration.

Amanda Dickson said...

Still a great quilt :)
I actually really like the backing material...I think it goes well with the neutral front! Great Choice!

Michelle said...

Loved your quilt!! What an experience to watch you quilt...oh, to be that relaxed with FMQing ;-) I had a great time retreating with you again. Looking forward already to next year!!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh.My.Gosh. You and Stephanie sitting right next to each other. I'm going to cry -- you're guys are so lucky! ;-D Looks like it was a productive retreat!

Claire Jain said...

This is super fun! I love your quilt top.

Terriaw said...

Your oatmeal quilt turned out beautifully! I think that backing fabric is perfect. It was fun sitting next to you while you quilted this. Such a fabulous weekend at retreat! I think we have more fun each year. I miss you already!

Tara said...

I just love this! And you are so funny! Can't wait to chat more today!

Suzanne said...

You are one handsome and crafty group! Had to laugh as you worked from the back to the front. You always are up to something!

Mama Pea said...

This turned out so great. It was kind of an honor to be around while you quilted it! That's funny--leisure suit! I look like I stayed up to late and got up too early!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

One day I'll have an oatmeal quilt and quilt it with e's or low volume! Miss ya!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Seriously one of the best weekends of 2012 so far. Sitting across from you and then having you, um , "force" me to spread my wings and try fmq-ing-- awesome. I miss everyone--such good friends. Thanks SO much for inviting me to join this group last year--it has enriched my life more than I can say!