Friday, July 15, 2011

retreat recap

front row, left to right: Toni and Shelly,
back row, left to right: Doris, Michelle, Rene, Terri, me, Mary, Cindy, Stephanie

I was so fortunate to be able to spend last weekend quilting at Gruber's for our second annual quilting retreat. Man, was it fun. Seriously, I laughed until my abs hurt. (I finally found an ab workout that I LOVE! Hurray!) I feel like I owe these fine women for therapy. It was so wonderful to quilt together, to share ideas and stories and jokes. It was fun to EAT OUT and not have to cook for anyone for a few days. It was fun to browse the 10,000 bolts at the quilt shop, even if I didn't buy a darn thing. The side affect, though, is feeling like a slug this entire week. (It was still totally worth it!) I am still trying to get back into the swing of things, and it's Friday already! I am still trying to catch up on sleep! (Again, I repeat, still totally worth it!)
At the retreat, I hunkered down and got my fall 9 patch quilt top done. It took me all of Friday AND all of Saturday. And if you know me, I take my quilting retreat sewing time very seriously-I get down to business! This is just a time consuming quilt to piece, which also makes it the perfect retreat project. There was no shortage of great conversation and laughter to take my mind off the monotony. After I got the top done and I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I also saw the fruits of my labor. Yay!

The quilt specifics: Most of the 9 patches are pieced from Kona cotton jelly rolls in the Dusky and Dark colorways. The cream sashing is Moda Bella Solid in the color snow. The pattern is from a quilt along I did a few summers ago. (Links are on my sidebar...one a day quilt along.) It is a twin size.

Anyway, back to the retreat....I was lame-o and took VERY few photos. And the ones I did take turned out all yellow. But thankfully other people did. And they wrote beautiful recap posts all about the retreat. Click on any of the links above to read more about the fun we had. I feel so lucky to be able to call these women friends. I can't wait to do it again next year!

29 comments:

Katherine said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a weekend! Love your fall 9 patch. Those solids are so lovely together.

Esch House Quilts said...

Quilting retreats with friends are the best! Congrats on getting such a wonderful quilt quilted :)

Mama Urchin said...

I want to go on a quilt retreat with you again sometime soon!

Julie said...

I need some help ... I am making a hexagon quilt and I can not piece it together..... http://julieethompson.blogspot.com/2011_07_01_archive.html?zx=f9334262efb8fb93


can you please help me?

MB in MI said...

your post made me smile. aren't we lucky to have a hobby that brings so many nice people together?? thanks for sharing.

Wacky Woman said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Love your quilt.

Jill Chapman said...

You're so lucky to have good friends to quilt and chat with.

Quiltn Mama said...

Jealous, but glad you had a great time! My Mom and I are retreating in September and we can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had so much fun on your retreat! Love, love, love your 9 patch! Great job! Have a great weekend!

Liz Jimenez said...

So fun! I have such warm memories of the weekend in Colorado with you and the other lovely ladies.

I am strongly considering going to Sewing Summit in Utah, are you going?

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Yes, THIS quilt retreat is REQUIRED therapy for me at least once a year - so much fun! Love your fall color nine-patch!

Anonymous said...

Ooh what a pretty 9-patch quilt. I love it. Retreats with friends are nothing but fun fun fun :))

Shelly said...

That quilt turned out so beautiful. Loved all the show and tell you brought along, too. Can't wait till next year!

Erika said...

Your quilt is beautiful!! I've been wanting to make a nine patch for my living room for a while and this has inspired me to get started on it. How many jelly rolls did you end up having to use for this?

Terriaw said...

Thank you for being original in your recap of our fabulous retreat! It really was a fabulous weekend, and I'm so glad I didn't back out at the last-minute. I love your quilt top, which is going to make an amazing wedding gift. It really a blast sewing next to you, rooming with you and Cindy, sharing stories and exchanging ideas. Thank you for being such a great friend!!

Clair said...

Come to my house and I will cook for you, too! :) The quilt looks good.

Live a Colorful Life said...

One of my best weekends ever. Could it be that I had not met any of you in real life until last weekend? I felt like I had known everyone for a long time. It was truly the BEST therapy!

Jean said...

Your retreat sounds great! I have a retreat with 6 friends coming up in a few weeks, and I am so ready to go. This will be our 3rd retreat together.

Erica said...

I love your fall nine patch! A fall quilt has been on my to-do list for some time, if I could just finish my stinkin' double wedding ring that I started almost TWO YEARS AGO...oh boy. I love it, but at this point I'd really love for it to be done so I can move on to new quilts!

Andrea, the little collector said...

That quilt border makes me happy! Bummed to have missed sewing with you gals...totally happy to have chatted with you and heard all about it. :)

Liz said...

The top looks great!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your 9-patch!

Chara Michele said...

Sounds lovely! I love the colors of that quilt, so perfect for fall!

beeps said...

love seeing this top done! i've been thinking of doing a nine patch quilt ever since i read about you starting this baby!

quirky granola girl said...

your fall 9 patch looks spectacular. i love the addition of the plummy blocks. i think that updates the fall color spectrum.

Buy King Size Quilts said...

Your blog really impressed me this give me a new way to learn the things about Quilts Online, King Size Quilts in a systematic manner your blog is woban combination of knowledge, words and sentences. For more information you can visit us http://www.wildorchidquilts.net

Unknown said...

Hi, I wasn't sure which retreat my friend Rene was going to.... And then I saw her in your photo when I was visiting your blog! I'm so glad you got some time to relax at the retreat. Sounds like it was sorely needed. I don't blame you for being frustrated! You do a great job on your blog, and there are a whole lot of people out there who just love you. Concentrate on us!

Lori said...

that 9 patch quilt a long was addicting. I assembled two tops and have enough blocks for another one--all about queen size! It was such fun!

Anonymous said...

This nine patch layout with the neutral sashing is the perfect solution to use all the multicolored nine patches I made last year trying out a super-quick way of making nine patches. I really got into the sewing but didn't have a plan for using the finished blocks. Now I do, thanks a million for sharing :o)