Thursday, August 05, 2010

i love plaid! quilts


Here is the first version of the plaid quilt I made, again using the fair and square pattern. See that one orange square near the top? It was bugging me and I felt like it stuck out like a sore thumb. I had it hanging over my banister and every time I walked by, I wavered. Should I change it out or not? About 5 days later, I decided to sit down and do it. It didn't take me long at all, and phew! I'm so glad I did it. I was delighted when I read this post. Apparently I'm not the only one who struggles with things like this.

So afterward, this is what it looks like.
i love plaid! quilt, version one
Ahhh, much better!

And here is the second plaid quilt top I made. Just today, actually.
i love plaid! quilt, version two
I just love these! As you can see, I like to keep the colors in order and I can't help myself from arranging the plaids as if they were shirts hanging in a closet.

I'd like to say a big huge thank you to the following generous people who sent me plaid squares for this project: Terri, Janet, Angela, Thimbleanna, Sonia, Jenn, Libby, Sherry, Ms. Clayton, Debbie, Lucy, Donna, Erin, Carla, Bridget, Kristin, Cindy, Teresa, Sara, Ashley, Kelly, Anna, Timi (all the way from Hungary!), Ann, Carol, Anita, Kathy, Tammie, Susan, Christina, Beryl, Jeannine, Barbara, Karen, Jocelyn and Yvonne. (I hope that's everyone.) THANK YOU SO MUCH! I couldn't have done it without you!

edited to add: i'm not accepting any more plaids for this project.

To answer many of your questions...I plan to post the tutorial here on my blog, so stay tuned!

Oh, and I've decided to give away a packet of green squares to make this quilt as well. If you are interested, leave a comment on the previous post, not this one. Okie dokie? And thanks for all the kind comments about this quilt. I'm really proud of it! I'll move on to something else soon, I promise. :)

30 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks for planning to post the tutorial, I've enjoyed seeing all 3 versions of this quilt.

Mary said...

Oh yes! Thank you for showing us the group of these quilts. I love your tutorials and can't wait to make one (or ten) of these Fair and Square quilts. I love the way you arranged the colors in order - it's fabulous!

Debbie said...

Looks great! Glad I could help with the plaids!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I had a similar thing happen with my first top. One of the blocks was upside down. It was driving me crazy! I didn't know if it was kosher to undo a block once it was sewn in. Would it ruin the integrity of the seams or something? My husband said it wasn't that noticeable and not to mess with it but I knew it would bug me forever if I didn't fix it. So I did. It only took about 20 minutes and I was so much happier with my quilt!
Am I ever glad to know a pro has done it and lived to tell the tale. Thanks for your great posts and beautiful quilts!

Wendy said...

Gorgeous! I love the second quilt in tan.

beth said...

Ripping out and putting something back in isn't quite as bad as we think it is...usually!! I did quite a bit of that ripping out today and I'm almost back to where I began, so I'm happy too!

HOPE said...

Love the reds and greens on the tan #2 quilt...

my dad always said his favorite color was PLAID!!

this would make a nice memory quilt using a man's shirts...

Nice!!!
HOPE

Oleander said...

so cute. i need to make one, i definitely have enough old shirts. such a versatile pattern

Oleander said...

did i mention how happy i am that you are back in the blog world??

Annalia said...

Ditto, Oleander!

I love that you did a cool and a warm version of this! Isn't is amazing how many different colors make nice sashing? -and I thought I would never like anything but white. White, blue, grey, brown...and linen blends!

Lexi said...

Fabulous quilt! Another that I will be making up when the tutorial is up. Thanks for a great giveaway, even though I'm international.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I was so happy to contribute a square. I have been saving my son's and father's shirts and plan to make one myself. So far it will be, uh, blue. Both of your quilts turned out great!

Ditto that I'm SO happy to see you back in blogland!

Contented Caroline said...

Definately looks good in plaid. That's the one for me.

Stasher said...

Love your blog, and having just been brave enough to buy my first lot of fabrics, and book myself on a course, I'll be using your tutorials.

Many thanks Noelle, Kenilworth, UK

Janette said...

I feel inspired. I love the plaid! First, I have to collect the plaid... I think I might raid the male closets in the house to see what I can find.

Kelly said...

would love to win the squares and try this quilt!

Kelly

Rene' said...

These plaid ones are terrific too!!!

Kimberly Whispell said...

Both quilts are terrific, I love the plaid!

Jessica Christensen said...

Excellent masculine quilts. Thanks for showing us all the truncations.

Thimbleanna said...

Very cool Crazy Mom! I love the look and I love the way you've arranged the squares. I searched for my block but they all look alike to me LOL!

NorahS said...

I love those plaids! I really think this design is great and I am looking forward to the tutorial.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Another great version!

tracy_a said...

how fun! I love this as well. Thanks for showing the same quilt in so many colorways - and for the future pattern!

Terriaw said...

I love these plaid quilts too! They turned out perfectly! I do that same thing too, rearrange pieces, even after a project is all sewn together. Love the variety of squares you received, and two color variations too. What a fun idea and fantabulous execution!

cakegirl said...

Love the quilts and love seeing the fabric I sent as part of the quilt.

Jennifer said...

Now I can show my hubby what happened to his old boxers - 3rd quilt, right side, 2nd fabric from the top. He looked at me like I was crazy when I wanted to keep them ((elastic does not last nearly as long as fabric in the desert) and like I was even crazier when I told him I needed to send a square to you :-)

Karen said...

Beautiful quilts. I love plaid.

Alice R. said...

S'okay - we like this one!

InStitches said...

Fun to see how you used the plaid squares. Great quilts ~ all of them. Was happy to be able to help. Looking forward to the tutorial. It amazes me how much you accomplish!

Amy said...

Thanks for the pattern, very pretty plaid quilts.thanks for sharing,Amy