Monday, June 30, 2008

star quilt along, week 10

Welcome to week 10 of the quilt along.

This is one of my favorites.

cut one square 7 1/4" from the background fabric

cut in half on the diagonal twice, to make 4 quarter square triangles

cut one square 4 1/4" from the background fabric

cut in half on the diagonal twice, to make 4 quarter square triangles

cut 4 squares 3 1/2" from the background fabric

cut 2 squares 3 7/8" from the background fabric

cut the (3 7/8") squares in half on the diagonal once to make 4 half square triangles

cut one square 4 1/4" from a dark fabric

cut in half on the diagonal twice, to make 4 quarter square triangles

cut 4 squares 3 7/8" from the same dark fabric

cut the squares in half on the diagonal once to make 8 half square triangles

layout as shown


I pressed these seams open to reduce bulk in the center

trim the tails here, if desired




Once the block is sewn together, square up to 12.5".

Thanks for quilting along with me!

19 comments:

MichelleB said...

Very nice! I'm looking forward to getting caught up.

Tine said...

That is gorgeous!! Two of my favourites combined: a pinwheel and a star!

John said...

Looks great! I am finally all caught up and have resolved not to fall behind anymore. Yeah, right ... we'll see how long that lasts ... ! : )

Aunt Jo said...

Goody! I'm caught up and ready for this one.

I do love that blue.

Regi said...

What a beautiful block... I really like this one.

Karen said...

Neat block! Will get started on it right away.

Rebekah said...

very cool! I love the pinwheel in the center!

jacquie said...

Such a great block. I'll have to make a couple of these. I have 9 cut and ready to sew. Hope I'll be caught up by tonight! Again, thanks as always for letting us quilt a long with you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the instructions. The pinwheel is really cute!

sulu-design said...

I can see why this one is a favorite - that pinwheel in the middle of the star is cute and clever.

Clair said...

That is a fun block.

PAMTASTIC! said...

I like it! (and I'm not even into star blocks)

Stephanie D said...

You know, I kind of liked it also when it was all separate and the background made it look like lead sashings between the parts. Cool.

QuiltedSimple said...

This looks like a fun block - I can't wait to make it - I'm all caught up now but for this one - maybe tonight!
Kris

Anonymous said...

I really like this block. It looks kind of tricky to me, but was very easy and I am quite happy. This might be my favourite one yet!

I have posted a picture at http://alotalot.wordpress.com/2008/07/02/quilt-along-weeks-7-9-and-10/

Unknown said...

wonderful tutorial! Thanks for sharing, it makes it look so easy and it is so gorgeous!
~Emily in Norway

savvy stitch said...

Great directions! Thank you!

azuliverde.21 said...

Looks like if it was magic!
I really love your work :)

Emily Cole said...

I wonder if I'm the only one still working on this quilt...? I can't wait to see mine all put together - I'm falling in love with the colors all over again!