Friday, November 10, 2017

tag arithmetic quilt top complete

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

Well, the new project that I started this week DID help my focus, believe it or not!
I'm so happy to have a completed quilt top to share today. It felt amazing to make this in a day and a half. Woohoo! I really like what Andrea said in the comments of the last post about quilt kits being like paint by numbers (in a good way!). I have to agree!
At the last minute, I decided to add in one fabric from my good neighbors line (which is from a few years ago), even though the greys don't match exactly. They are close enough! I thought it would be fun to have Cheryl's fabric and a little bit of my fabric play together in the same quilt.

One thing that I did differently than the pattern was to cut the horizontal portion of the blocks into 12 1/2" strips, rather than cutting everything into 4 1/2" squares. It went together more quickly AND the prints are not chopped up as much. Win/win!
The quilt top is a twin size, measuring about 64" x 88". I really love how it turned out!

The pattern is available here, if you care to make one of your own.

I also wanted to mention that I'm having a sample sale over on Instagram. My kids are raising money for our church to support missionaries and I wanted to help them out, so I've listed a bunch of stuff for sale: from pincushions to rag rugs to quilts. All proceeds will go toward Speed the Light, which is a part of AG Youth Ministries. I plan to add more items throughout the weekend. Thanks for looking. :)

Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday!

21 comments:

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Yay for instant (ish!) gratification projects! It's a stunning quilt and you'd never notice that you didn't chop the fabric into squares, in a good way. It's so different to your usual colour palette it must have been really refreshing to make too :)

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

Your quilt looks great! Awesome idea to use the rectangles instead of all squares.

Melissa Corry said...

I just love this quilt!!! The bold black and white with the pops of coral, and so fun that you added in bits of your own fabric, that makes it all the more special ;)

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Amanda,
WOW - 1.5 days to completely finish a gorgeous quilt. Very, very impressive. I love the fabrics, and hope that they are restocked. I always wondered why the center strip in these math blocks are not just one long piece of fabric, so I can certainly see why you did that replacement! Looks great, and as you mentioned it lets the fabric shine in one continuous piece. ~smile~ Roseanne

Chris said...

Wow, that didn't take long! It looks great.

Cathy said...

Great quilt. I love the pop of pink. Hugs

Angie in SoCal said...

Stunning quilt! Love the colorway you chose.

grammajudyb said...

Cutting horizontal rectangles is a great idea. It would save on seam allowances. I found cutting from fat quarters was sometime difficult, due to the FQ not quite being 18 X 22. The ones I had were a bit shy of 18", and so I could not get 4- 4.5" squares across the short side. Thanks for the tip!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a beauty! It is really striking.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I love this one too!! Love the pops of corals. And how fun to have your fabric playing along with Cheryl's. :)

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Love your quilt!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

It's really beautiful! Great job.

Dakotamom said...

Love this! It is great! What a fun quilt!

Unknown said...

Love the quilt! And the mission your kids are raising money for!

Julierose said...

Lovely quilt--I like the idea of the horizontal bar a lot--hugs, Julierose

Julie Bagamary said...

Fabulous quilt!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Those spots of coral are really nice with the black/white/gray palette. I would have naturally cut the longer pieces like you did to preserve the prints across a larger area. Makes perfect sense to me.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Gorgeous quilt! I love all the prints and that pretty pop of colour. I hope the sale goes really well ♡

Melanie said...

I love this!!!!

Miaismine said...

Love the black and white with a splash of color! Thank you for sharing!

Paige said...

The addition of your Good Neighbors fabric was a great idea. I think any grays make 'good neighbors'!