Friday, June 10, 2016

a pair of boxy pouches

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

The boxy pouch is something that has been on my mental to-make list for years. Literally, years!
I used this fantastic tutorial by Pink Stitches. (This is the larger size.) It was a fun project and there was a lot of squealing by me and my daughter over the finished product. Like a friend of mine mentioned, it has hello kitty, gingham and strawberries. What more could you ask for? Plus, it's pink!!!
I love that it's fully lined on the inside. I quilted the outside panels onto scraps of batting, then added interfacing (Pellon SF101) behind the batting. That might seem a little bit weird, but it worked well. The lining fabric also has a layer of the same interfacing, but no batting. The pouch has a great amount of structure, but it's still flexible and not the least bit crinkly or crispy. (I hate crispy interfacing!)
My daughter was eyeing it up and wanted it for her own, for marker storage. I plan to use mine to hold knitting projects, and I knew I couldn't give mine up, so I made her a smaller version. It's so fun to have matching boxy pouches! And I'm happy to use up some stash fabric at the same time. :)
 
Because it's fun to hear from you, what is something that is on your long time sewing list? I'd love to hear about it!
 
Oh, and thank you SO MUCH for your sweet comments on my daughter's quilt blocks. She loved the encouragement. It means a lot to her. (And me!) Thanks a bunch. xoxox
 
Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you for joining me for finish it up Friday! 
 

18 comments:

Tami Von Zalez said...

Great minds think alike! My next project will incorporate a Hello Kitty background and possible sashing material.
I got to link up with my finished Daughter Quilt from the Hawaiian shirt hoarder series.
Thank you again for hosting!
http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-whole-nine-yards-of-fabric.html

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I still have plans for a sew together bag. Fabric and zippers have been waiting patiently next to my machine for a couple of years now. One of these days I will get to it! Your matching pouches are adorable.

Vicki W. said...

Oh, boy, that is a looong list! I've been meaning to make a spider web quilt with my string scraps. I've gotten as far as ... One block! Ha!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Very cute, especially the matching mother daughter aspect of them.

Laura said...

I am finishing up one of the items on my long time sewing list, which is a paper-pieced pillow of a retro-modern couch. Your tutorial on quilting and putting the pillow together is very helpful. I've made pillows before, but it sure helps to have the photos to ensure I'm doing it right. Thanks!

Lorna McMahon said...

What could be cuter than a Hello Kitty boxy pouch? Well, two of them, of course! They are really cute and it's so sweet that you and your daughter now each have one. Enjoy your weekend with your family. Hope we will have good weather!

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is super cute. And I have a bundle of Hello Kitty fabric. Charlotte and I should have matching pouches for sure. :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Absolutely adorable! I'm a fan of all those things too! There are so many things I want to sew... I would love to make a pineapple quilt (your tutorial is brilliant!) and also a spider web quilt. I love traditional patterns!

Unknown said...

I must make that boxes for my daughter and granddaughter. So fun and beautifu!! Thanks for sharing.

Dawn said...

I want to make a drunkards path quilt. I have a set of templates but the block is too small, I want the block about 6 inches. I love the look!!

Mary Marcotte said...

My problem is that I want to sew everything, and I want to reinvent the wheel every time! Eventually I want to make a double wedding ring...that has to be the pinnacle, right?

Rene' said...

Those pouches are adorable in the Hello Kitty fabric!!! The wide open pouch by Noodlehead has been on my list forever, and I just made one! Other bags by Anna are also on my sewing list. Happy Friday!

Schulz Family said...

absolutely gorgeous little pouches.

Kacey said...

A Swoon quilt (half blocks done) and Christmas quilt. Sadly, both for me!

Judy said...

I have never made a zipper pouch! It's on my list so bad. I want a bag like this for traveling for toiletries. And, I have to make a Log Cabin quilt!! Thanks for your help!

Jeneta said...

I LOVE that tutorial! I have made quite a few boxy pouches using the Pink Stitches tutorial - I love yours! Very cute fabric. I am not a fan of crispy interfacing either (it can ruin an entire project).

Sandra Walker said...

Terrific bright pouches, and thanks for the link; I have a hankering to make one (or possibly two1) with the Henry Glass challenge fabric, and this will be perfect!

Suzanne said...

I have made tons of those bags from That same tutorial and I have about 10 more cut and prepped to sew. It's a great resource. Your bags are adorable. I'm glad you did two.

Lately I have been wanting to make a sudoku quilt. I saw the idea years ago and it's been on my radar ever since.