Thursday, May 21, 2015

parachute quilts

The parachute quilt has been finished for quite awhile now...but I wasn't sure if I was going to write a pattern for it or what to do with it. Turns out that Robert Kaufman is offering it as a free pattern on their website! It is made from a variety of strips from 5 different Kona Roll ups, but you could easily use solids from your stash. It was really fun to make!
The inspiration for this quilt came to me one evening while I was watching a TV show with my husband. (Over 3 years ago!) I was inspired by the stripes on a man's button down shirt. Random, right? I quickly sketched the idea on the front of an envelope and it floated around in a stack of paper for years. Eventually, it got taped into my sketchbook. (I'm still a little surprised by that!) Not all ideas get translated into fabric...but it's pretty neat to see what happens when they do!
This is the first quilt that I ever sent to a long arm quilter. It was a struggle for me to give up control (a common theme in my life) but I am so pleased that I overcame that mental block. Steffani (from Country Fabrics in Brainerd) did an amazing job on the quilting. It makes the quilt! And it saved me a week and a half of quilt wrestling. :)
For the backing, I used an old (but oh-so-good) Anna Maria Horner fabric. I love the bold floral on the back. It's a perfect match! I've been using this quilt as my 3rd layer on my bed these past few weeks. It's so cozy!
I made a smaller version, too! This is the baby parachute quilt, which uses the same proportions, but skinny strips, which are cut 1 1/2" wide. The palettes were picked by Elizabeth Hartman and Rita Hodge. I love how the colors all work together. It's easy, fun and colorful....just like I like it! This one is available as a free pattern as well.

It's so fun to be able to share these, at last!

25 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so nice, bold and colorful!

Unknown said...

Awesome quilt and just perfect for that sunrise jelly roll of solids that's been rolling around my sewing room for the past 1+ year!

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Congrats on the Kona recognition! And thank you for sharing your creativity... now I don't have to spend hours figuring out how to get the same look! :)

skrawek tęczy said...

Piękny!!! Super pikowanie. Pozdrawiam:)

Suzanne said...

I appreciative seeing the original sketch. It just goes to show that inspiration is right under our noses.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great quilts. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

What an awesome idea for jelly roll strips! Lovely finish and kudos to your choice of longarm quilter, they did a wonderful job!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love this bright and bold quilt! Now I know what to do with my Kona solids jelly rolls!

Jeneta said...

You and I have the same design process (except that you have actually made a quilt that you have designed!! I have recently gone as far as sewing up a block that I designed. And I love it!!), though yours is a little more advanced than mine. I should get myself a book to stick my random bits of paper into!! Yay for long arm quilters! That is an extra week and a half of sewing more of your lovely scraps together for the next quilt!

Kvilttaaja said...

Solids look so beautiful. I love it!

Maja said...

So nice!
I think we all need more colours in our lifes.
At least I do!

Maja said...

So nice!
I think we all need more colours in our lifes.
At least I do!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this quilt! Less is more and simple is brilliant :) After finding a great long-arm quilter for my tops, I am so relaxed about finishing big quilts now.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Wonderful Quilt! The simplicity is stunning!

Dominique said...

Again, the simple quilt wins! Love, love, love the simplicity of it, yet, it looks complicated. Great job on keeping those lo-o-o-n-n-n-g strips perfectly straight (walking foot?) and mixing colours in a random but effective way. Love the smaller one too!

KathyinMN said...

The small one is even super cute. Great new pattern.

u keep sewing said...

Nice, Nice, Nice.
Thanks for sharing.

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

Love the quilts!! So simple and striking. Beautiful.
Amanda

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Congratulations! One never knows what will inspire a quilter, LOL!!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love the simplicity and bold color of this quilt.

Samantha said...

I love it when seemingly simple=stunning!

the zen quilter said...

Very, very fun!

Seamingly Sarah said...

I soooooooo want to make this. I will have to buy a jelly roll for the first time in my life.

Unknown said...

Sublime! Love the colour and the quilting gives it more movement. Lusting after your fabulous backing choice. Wonderful!

Mama O. said...

Amanda, this quilt is just stunning, and my husband, who isn't usually all that interested in what I'm looking at, reached over to look at it and loved it! The RK website lists five jelly rolls as needed for the project (I think to get all the different colors). That's a lot, especially when you couldn't possibly need all those strips. Could you possibly give us a hint as to what's the minimum number of JRs we would need? Thanks!!