Tuesday, February 17, 2015

a messenger bag

I'm not a big fan of making hand made bags, but I do love carrying them. Every once in awhile I make one anyway, even if the process isn't my favorite. The results are totally worth it!
Over the past several days I sewed up this messenger bag. I didn't follow a pattern at all, but I did consult my friend Tara on a few parts of the construction. (Thanks Tara!) The outside is made from denim, the flap is scrappy, of course! I used a linen strap that I found in the epic bag of scraps that I received from Mary. It was so nice to have that part done!
There are multiple layers and various materials in this baby, including: lightweight denim, canvas, interfacing, batting, linen and quilting cotton. (Oh my!)
The lining fabric is red and white polka dot, which is probably no surprise at all. I love that it's so happy! I added 4 simple slide pockets on the inside....
...and I even added a zipper pocket to the back of the bag. I watched the instructions on how to make a zippered pocket in Tara's Quilt as You Go Patchwork Bags Craftsy class, which completely demystified the process. I felt so smart and accomplished! It's not perfectly straight, but not bad at all for a first try.
The bag measures about 13" wide x 14" tall x 3" deep. I LOVE how it turned out! I can't wait to fill it up and start carrying it around. It's going to hold lots and lots of stuff....but not the kitchen sink! :)

I haven't said it in awhile, but...hurray for scraps!!!


On an unrelated note...I apologize to those of you who follow my blog via email who received a weird email message linking to me last week. My blog got hacked (what a mess) and I apologize for the trouble. Please delete the email message and move on. Hopefully it's all taken care of now. Thank you to those of you who gave me a heads up. I appreciate it!

31 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your bag - I love the way the hand made bags look but I do not like to make them, I never seem to get them sturdier enough and they are limp

Melissa Corry said...

This is such a cute bag!! I just love your scrappy purses!!

Baa. xxx said...

Love, love your bag!

Crafty Ashley B said...

such a cute bag! Definitely cannot tell you didn't follow a pattern!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That's a great bag, AmandaJean. Should wear well too. Such happy colors and prints!

Terri said...

cute! This reminded me how much I love making handbags, and I haven't made one in awhile. This also reminded me that I made a messenger bag a few years ago that I love, using some AMH Drawing Room home dec weight. (love it so much I forgot about it!)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This bag is so pretty and a great way to use scraps and recycle denim too!

Rachel @ Quiltineering said...

I was amazed at how much easier zippers seemed after watching Tara's Quilt As You Go class! Love the bag - great use for scraps!!

Lana said...

Great job!!!!!

Lisa H. said...

Super cute and charming! Great inspiration!

JG said...

What a cute bag!!! Now I need to look at my scrap pile.
~Judy

Purple Boots and Pigtails said...

Dude!
Love scraps! Love this bag!

Nana said...

You constantly amaze me with your scrappy ideas. Love the purse.

Carol E. said...

I love the bag, and thanks for the link to the zipper info. I've been wanting to learn that embedded zipper technique.

Sherri said...

Love this bag so much!!!

contadina said...

I love your bag, I really do ♥

For me sewing a bag is a great pleasure and the idea of using scraps is absolutely great, I'll try this by myself for sure :-)

It makes fun just looking at your bag, thanks for showing!

Rita said...

So beuatiful!

Jeneta said...

I love the scrappy flap. I have been meaning to make myself a messenger bag for a few years now and still haven't done it. I love seeing your projects and the great motivation it gives me!

Little Quiltsong said...

What a beautiful purse! Love how you arranged the scraps on the front flap.

Marla said...

Love the scrappy flap.

Unknown said...

What a great bag

Kimberley said...

SEW much love for this bag! From the sturdy blue jean, the scrappy flap to the red and white polka-dot innerds! Are you sure we're not sisters from another Mister? =P

Createology said...

Fabulous bag and kudos on adding the zippered pocket. Creative Bag Bliss...

Glinda ♥ said...

You turn scraps into magic like no-one else I know. Fabby little bag :)

Kristin said...

LOVE. It. <3

Unknown said...

Wow!Superb.really nice.We are offering Thesis Writing Service.

Lyndsey said...

Super pretty bag and a great use of scraps.

Robin said...

Great Bag, the denim really sets off the scraps. I will have to check out the zipper info, I am intimidated by them. That may help a lot. Fun blog!

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful bag, my friend! Kind of jealous. Moved in October and waiting to finish up some construction projects to get my machine back out. Don't think I've made a bag in years... makes me miss you even more. :)

loreleijayne said...

Love it!

Stephie said...

Great bag, and there's another zipper done and dusted! I'm with you though, I don't really enjoy making bags, although I could certainly do with a few more…I think maybe you've inspired me to get on and get some done!