Last Friday I discovered that my Juki's bobbin winder quit working. That made me very nervous and it was the final push that I needed to take my machine in for a cleaning/service appointment. (It was way overdue. I think it had been since 2010!) I haven't quilted anything on the Juki in a long time, but as soon as went to the shop, I wanted to stipple ALL the quilts! (Of course!) Thankfully, I have another machine so at least I could sew something.
I pieced a few quilt backs, taking time and great care to line up the repeats. They aren't perfect, but close enough so the repeat doesn't jar the eye. I could have pieced in scrappy strips, but sometimes it's nice to have just one backing fabric for the whole quilt. (I go through phases....)
After I did it once, I thought I would try it again. It's very satisfying. I could see this becoming a compulsion!
Here's a quick rundown of how I did it. First off, I worked on the floor, so the fabric was well supported and wasn't hanging off the ironing board. I creased the fabric by hand, pressed it with an iron, then ran a thin strip of white glue to hold things in place. (I don't have a special glue tip or anything.) Press again. Glue the entire length of the pieces together. Then, open up the seam and sew as carefully as you can on the crease/fold. I trimmed off my selvages afterward, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. It worked very well! It's just advisable to watch where you place your hot iron. Berber carpet melts under a hot iron. (It was very minor thing...it could have been so much worse!)