Monday, October 23, 2017

Emma's sitting room quilt

Emma's Sitting Room is another quilt that I designed to showcase my new Emma & Myrtle fabrics. This one has kind of a crazy twist to the story, though, which I'll share at the end of this post.
This pattern comes in two different sizes...this version is 40" x 37", which makes a nice baby quilt or wall hanging. The larger size is 80" x 75", which is a generous lap size. I have a scrappy version in the larger size to show you, but I plan to share that in another blog post.
I wasn't exactly sure how to quilt it, because there are a lot of bulky seams from all the HSTs, which makes it a prime candidate for distortion. Eventually, I came up with the idea to quilt it using wavy lines. I first tried to quilt the lines with my walking foot, but the waves weren't pronounced enough, and there was a lot of drag. So, I switched to my free motion foot and quilted this in a relatively short time. It was quick to quilt AFTER I ripped out my first few rows of quilting, that is....but, it was totally worth it!
I used a sweet lamb print from my stash to back the quilt, which is from an older line by Riley Blake. The stripe (which is part of the collection) makes a great binding, I think.
I had this quilt mostly finished, except for part of the binding, when I was teaching at the Museum in Cedarburg, WI, back in May. I saw the weathered shed and thought it would be a good backdrop for quilt photos, so I quickly finished up the binding on my lunch break and snapped a few photos of the finished quilt before I taught class in the afternoon. Ridiculous, but true!
My original quilt mock up was a variation on the traditional bear paw block. I had the dimensions and the math all worked out for two different sizes. Connecting Threads had the fabric ordered for kits and everything. Then, (dun dun dun) my friend, Kristin, came across this pattern, which was already published. The pattern isn't EXACTLY the same, but way too close for me to feel comfortable to proceed. After panicking a little bit, I did a lot of playing around with different layouts and ideas....and eventually I came up with the Sitting Room Quilt. Some people have asked why it is rectangular rather than square. The reason for that it because I retro-fit the pattern to meet the previous quilt's fabric requirements. (Fun times!) The rectangular format isn't something that I wouldn't have thought to do on purpose, but I actually like it a lot. And now, you know the rest of the story. Hahaha!
The pattern is available here, or you can get a kit with the fabric and pattern here, if you care to make one of your own!
 
Happy Monday to you!


13 comments:

Susanne Tyree said...

Okay, this is a second attempt at posting a comment. Darn spell check changed my wording and I don't know if the comment was erased or went through, ugh!
I just want to say I like this pattern, I love the different layouts and it would definitely make a cute baby quilt. Thank you for sharing it.
Susanne :)

The Farmhouse Quilter said...

I LOVE it! What a great design.

Di~ said...

Hey! cute! quilt! I'm ordering the kit, but I also want to order a backing for it at the same time. Tell me, would ironing board cover be a good backing and how much should I buy for the backing? Thanks creative girl! :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

I love this version of the quilt (and the dun dun dun version, too!) The fabrics are so sweet.

Simply, Sarah said...

It's beautiful!

Allison said...

It is a lovely quilt and I like the story of how it came to be a rectangle. I didn't even notice that it wasn't square until you pointed that out! Interesting that you had issues with quilting wavy lines. I've just unpicked a load of walking foot curved lines that have caused puckering in a quilt top... Perhaps I'll try fmq instead.

Patty said...

So pretty and I love those fabrics.

KaHolly said...

It certainly is pretty! Lots and lots of HSTs!

Dakotamom said...

Such a sweet pretty quilt! Love the softer colors and the design!!

MissPat said...

How do you keep the curved lines so even when doing it free-motion? And so evenly spaced.
Pat

pennylanequilts said...

Good save on the pattern and kits. I admire your problem solving skills!

kathy said...

I love it, and I love the story. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love this quilt and the choice of colors. A wonderful story to go along makes it all the more special.