Friday, August 07, 2015

the carry-all pin cushion

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

You all know how much I love a good pin cushion...well...this one knocks all other pin cushions out of the park! The pattern is in Anna's lovely new book Handmade Style and it's called the Carry-All Pin Cushion. I had so much fun making it!
I pieced the top panel from scraps (of course!), and then quilted it with simple straight lines. I chose to keep the rest of the fabrics pretty low-key, because I wanted the patchwork to be the focal point. Each of the patchwork squares were cut at 1 1/2", so they finish at about 1". I LOVE tiny patchwork, even if it is putzy! Plus, I emptied out another scrap bag from the old craft room. Bonus!
There are pockets on each side of the pin cushion...the pleated pockets are such a great detail and I love the little "smile" end pockets, as I call them...so happy!
There are slide pockets on the other side to hold a seam gauge and a marking pen. SO handy, since it seems like half the time I'm sewing I'm searching for my tools!
The filling is a combination of wool and bamboo batting scraps that I ripped apart and used as stuffing. They worked well together and as you can see, I love a well stuffed pin cushion! I think it's important! :)
I made this for a pin cushion swap that I joined on Instagram, but I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to give it up. I guess we will see!

Do you have a finish to share today? I hope so! Thanks for joining me for finish it up Friday!

28 comments:

Jessica said...

This is adorable, and I love your quilting! I need a big pincushion now!

Carla said...

How perfect is that!! What a great idea to keep everything close. That settles it, I'm ordering the book!

Quilts and Such said...

Oh yes! Love the pin cushion; already checked out the book!

SuperMomNoCape said...

What a great pin cushion. I love the patchwork top and the pockets on the sides are just brilliant.

Turid said...

Great inspiration, thank you! I love pincushions, and I have many of them received from all over the world.

Lorna McMahon said...

That is the Swiss Knife of pincushions, that's for sure! Love the happy fabric scraps you chose. And I was wondering what batting trimmings could be used for. I was thinking of stuffed animals. But this is more my speed!

Lisa J. said...

This is one beautiful pin cushion. Now I want to see the book.

Suzanne said...

I think you should consider this your prototype scrap pincushion and then make the next one to swap. :)

Cathy L said...

I love this pin cushion! I also like the ruler ribbon. Can I ask where I could get something like that?

Rosa said...

So gorgeous.I love pincushions and made many.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This pincushion design is so clever and it looks lovely :)

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

What an awesome pin cushion.

Amanda Jean said...

Cathy L,

I found the measuring tape ribbon in a floral gift shop in Pittsburgh a few years ago. I wish I would have bought yards, as I haven't seen anything similar since.

AJ

Unknown said...

i like the scissors strap... Now THAT is handy dandy!

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

The Uber pin cushion!

Julie Bagamary said...

What a great and cute pin cushion. Love the tiny patchwork!

KaHolly said...

I'm in love! This pincushion alone is worth buying the book for!

Kim B. said...

I think you'd better keep it!! time to make something else for the swap. : )

elizabeth said...

The pin cushion is fantastic! If by any chance im your swap partner... You should send it!! Lol!

skrawek tęczy said...

Świetna, pomysłowa i fantastyczna praca:) Pozdrawiam serdecznie:)

SaraBellah said...

Very cute!

But "putzy?" Do you mean fussy? Putz is a synonym for penis and generally means something stupid or worthless.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work as always but I think you might be right that it is the best pin cushion ever!
t r a c y f o x

Katherine said...

Loving that pincushion! Wow. Anna has thought of everything in this fun design. Of course you know I'm crushing on your version with that sweet scrappy pieced top, right? ;o)

margaret said...

such a good idea with the added extras, now no excuse for loosing things can see why you do not want to part with it someone is going to be a happy girl when they receive it

Cut&Alter said...

Oh my this is just gorgeous!! Like you I seem to always be looking for my tools. This will definitely go on my to do list.

Di~ said...

Love that thing! no crushed walnut shells in there???? keep it for yourself! and make another one that is "kind of" ugly! :)

Joy said...

Love your pin cushion and ordered anna's bok on the strength it. Happy to say the book arrived today and there are many projects I want to make, main one being the patchwork bench. Love it though it mght be a bit beyond me

Anna said...

the tiny patchwork kills me. So awesome. Thanks for putting your stamp on it!!!! looooove!