Monday, April 27, 2015

retreat sewing

I spent the weekend at a retreat near Walker, Minnesota with a lovely group of women. I made/worked on a bunch of little projects throughout the weekend....I may have had project ADD! I was one of three teachers at the retreat. I love teaching, but I love to learn new things, too. It's fun when I can do both!
Jen taught an English paper piecing hexagon class. I've made a few hexis in the past, but it was nice to learn some tips and tricks. This was my first time using the pre-cut paper pieces and I really liked them! I used part of a mini charm pack in 30s prints...a perfect match for this pattern. I love it and I will probably turn it into a pin cushion. Shocker, I know!
Kandi taught a few classes....one of them was a fabric painting class. We painted Osnaburg (a linen-like fabric) with fabric dyes. The next step will be free motion quilting to add the finer details. That will be a stretch for me, but I'm hoping for the best! It was fun to get out of my comfort zone and try something new and completely different.
I taught scrap management and I turned the slab that I demoed at class into a mini mat almost right away...binding and all. Finishing feels good! I usually make mono chromatic slabs, or full on scrappy slabs, so this two toned slab was a fun departure. The quilting is a concentric squared off spiral. Quick and easy!
I did a little sewing for fun, too. It's been awhile since I made a thread catcher and I love the patchwork version. I used a Carolyn Friedlander's favorites mini charm pack (are you sensing a theme here?) that I was hoarding for this project. Felt great to use it!
It was nice to have this on my desk while I was sewing. It was a good place to collect those tiny scraps and triangles that I should throw away, but I keep them anyway!
One more mini charm pack project...I started making a small baggy pouch, pattern by Aneela Hoey. I LOVE these little pouches. So cute and such a great size. It was nice to get the patchwork pieced and quilted. Whenever I get back to this project, the assembly should be quick. Perfect for a last minute gift!
And one last thing to share. My table mate gave me this portion of a vintage quilt top. Isn't it gorgeous? It's plenty wonky, but it needs to be used. Perhaps I could turn it into throw pillows? I'm not sure. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Retreat sewing is fun, but at the end of the day, it's all about the people. I'm so thankful that I was able to be a part of a wonderful weekend with such lovely women! A big thanks to Rhende for all her hard work to make it happen! And of course, it's always good to be home. Sick kids and all.

Happy Monday to you!

23 comments:

Little Black Cat Quilting said...

Can't wait to see how the pouch turns out! That charm pack is gorgeous! :)

Christine said...

I have wante to do a hexagon pincushion too. The one I saw somewhere a few years ago was put into a Mason jar ring. Any thoughts on that?

Quilts and Such said...

Sounds like a lot of fun and much accomplished. Love your statement: it's all about the people". I say "amen": we forget about that and it is most important! Glad you had a good time!

Quilts and Such said...

Sounds like a lot of fun and much accomplished. Love your statement: it's all about the people". I say "amen": we forget about that and it is most important! Glad you had a good time!

Michelle said...

Perhaps you could frame some of the vintage quilt...

Carol said...

I can see the quilt as a large floor cushion. Love your work!

Sewing In CT said...

It's sounds like a great time! I'd turn that vintage piece into a picnic quilt or a table topper, I'd hate to cut it up! I rescue pieces like that all the time and don't care if they're wonky. :)

Amber said...

I would so make that vintage portion into a baby quilt! I love the wonky-ness of it and would likely hand quilt it imperfectly on purpose to "match" it.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Sounds like you had an absolute blast of a weekend, what fun!!

Susan said...

The vintage scrap top reminds me of a piece my friend Mary sent me from Ohio a couple of years ago. I'm sure it's the same pattern! I made a dilly bag from mine and sent it back to Mary to enjoy!

OurKookyLife said...

love all your little projects. I'm not sure how big is the quilt that your friend gave you but maybe it can be a pillow for an outdoors bench or swing if you have one.

Stephanie said...

A scrap management class sounds so great ...

Home Ec. Mel said...

I'd love for you to come link up at my new link up party. http://melsquiltingroom.blogspot.com/2015/04/fiber-tuesday-7.html

Jak and Will by Stephanie said...

What fun projects, and so many of them! I love that vintage piece, it has something quite modern about it.

I would probably suround it with solids to showcase it and call it a quilt!

Lilpuddin said...

I agree with Amber. Why not make the vintage quilt a baby quilt? I'd hate to see it cut up. Or make it the focal point of a larger quilt. You could add large pieces of solid fabric around it. A sort of old meets modern design.

Julie Bagamary said...

Great projects and inspiring.

Dresses and Spurs said...

You have some great finishes. Thanks for sharing! It's so nice you were able to get away and get some quality sew time in. :)

Kelly Cline said...

Great projects! Love small because they have a finish :) I would take that vintage top and collage with some other vintage pieces....linens, embroidery, etc. Let the top turn into a border for something else.

Thimbleanna said...

Sounds like a wonderful, productive weekend CrazyMom! I vote with the baby quilt crowd for the vintage quilt. If it's not quite big enough, you could add borders!

Christine said...

A friend used a piece of an old, worn quilt on a pillow top, adding small crocheted doilies and buttons/jewelry to distract from the worn spots. It was beautiful!

Christine from Ontario

Suzanne said...

A town named Walker?? I would love a photo of that for my son, Walker. :)

You were busy as usual. I like how you emphasize that you learned a few tips as well. Yahoo for your sweet projects and for stretching yourself.

The Farmhouse Quilter said...

I love reading your blog.

I went to my first quilting retreat a couple weeks ago and it was BLISS. You can read about it here:
http://thefarmhousequilter.blogspot.ca/

Thank you for sharing... loved the projects you made.

Clair said...

I like the fabric painting. Maybe something to try this summer?