Tuesday, December 10, 2013

trees! table runner

I'm not much of a table runner gal, (or a runner gal at all, ha ha!) but I wanted to revisit my trees! pattern without the commitment of making an entire quilt. The mini confetti dots from Dear Stella make an excellent background for this block. And, you really can't go wrong with a red and aqua combo!
 It's 11.5" wide by 52" long. (which makes it a little tricky to photograph!)
I had this adorable polka dot fabric in my stash that I thought I would hoard until the end of time, but it was too perfect not to use for this project. The patchwork is 1" finished (!!!) and definitely squeal-worthy. I foresee a new addiction coming! (By the way, isn't that selvage CUTE?)
For the backing I used this fun (and very suitable) winter print that I had leftover from backing a quilt a few years ago. It was a perfect match in color AND size, so no piecing was necessary. Bonus!
Since this is a small project, I used single fold binding to finish it off. Carol did a great tutorial here, if you'd like to check it out. I like using single fold bindings for small projects that won't get a bunch of wear (unlike a quilt) because it's less bulky, it saves fabric, and it's easier to get a nice crisp edge.
I'm happy to have this one finished! Now, on to the next!


26 comments:

karen said...

The runner is terrific! I've been doing candle mats and mug rugs with 1" finished squares this month. They are very satisfying. But after working with them for a while, I 2.5" raw square feels enormous!

Pat said...

That's really cute. I'm not much of a runner person either, but I could totally see using something like this.

Fran said...

Love it!

Jessica said...

this is adorable! that 1" patchwork is too cute~

Susan said...

Love everything about this- the fresh crisp colours and the sweet fabrics! Maybe you will be converted to 'running'!!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I agree about running! I do not run. But I love runners! It is super and that is one of my favorite color combos too!
So fresh and crisp looking. Great job!

Schulz Family said...

It is absolutely gorgeous

Anonymous said...

Those 1"patches look great, especially with those cute polka-dots! Though I still don't feel confident enough to do that small blocks/patches... Someday, hopefully soon! :)

Tennjenny said...

I'm sorry but that is one of the cutest things I've seen in a long time.

Cynthia said...

Love the runner. The second I saw your post about revisiting the Tree quilt I thought Table Runner or Tree Skirt. Make it square with 4 smaller trees alternating in direction so cute. I might have to try that one day. Thanks for sharing

Annalia said...

Cute! I'm making a table runner right now too. :)

Suzanne said...

Gosh, pull out the pennies and nickels. you can use the grid to play checkers. :-) Ok, there are only 8 across on a true checkerboard but you can be ambitious!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Oh so cute on a big screen! Wow!

Susan said...

Love your table runner! It has inspired me to use other colours besides green and red for Christmas decorations!

margaret said...

this has made up into a lovely runner, great pattern and love the fabrics

Unknown said...

super cute finish and how fun for US to look forward to a new finish each day this week :) Woot!
ps: I'm getting to be quite the fan of single fold bindings as I am finishing small Christmas gifts! I'm spreading the word USE SINGLE FOLD on small projects it's a sweet tidy, flat finish.

Jessica Christensen said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I could NOT love this more. I love the 1" squares, love the trees, love the color combo. You continue to amaze me with your productivity and your creativity!

Thimbleanna said...

I LOVE it CrazyMom! You did a fantastic job with the pictures too. You always manage to have THE perfect fabric. Those trees will be MINE! I started pulling fabrics and boy, it's even hard just to choose fabrics. I have cool Christmas prints but if they're not small, they won't work. I just need to get done with my gift sewing which is taking for.ever.!!!

Amy said...

I love this! I have the same Michael Miller fabric. I used it in my Ragged Squares quilt. I am going to bind it in it too. Hope to finish it soon. It's been waiting for quilting for a long time. I love the tree pattern. just amazing!! Thank you for the inspiration!! Happy Holidays!!!

AnnieO said...

Adorable! Great design and super fun color choices. Enjoy!

sko_G knits said...

nice and simple, yet has graphic impact. great design!

elizabeth said...

This is adorable and would make a great present! I am a sucker for all things trees anyhow... and yes, the red and aqua combo is timeless and fun and festive! great job!

Pieces of Cotton said...

Very nice - love the tiny patchwork!

pandchintz said...

It's perfect, Amandajean!

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

Great table runner! I have not yet tried single fold binding, but will check out Carol's tutorial. Thanks for the tip!

Vicki said...

Such a great runner, and the fabrics are such a great fit!