Friday, August 08, 2008

it really was a vacation

We are back from our little trip, and much to my surprise, our trip was relaxing and so very wonderful! The re-entry to normal life is quite harsh, but we are adjusting. :)

There was so much good about our trip.

My husband suggested we paint my dad's living room (it needed it badly) so we did that on Tuesday. What a difference a few coats of paint makes. While we were painting my boys were farming with my brother and my dad and my daughter drug around a very patient little kitten named Fluffy. It was so cute!

Wednesday my husband and I left our 3 kids with my very sweet sister and we went up to Fargo, ND (of all places) and had a wonderful night away to celebrate our anniversary. We ate (way too much). And we ate leisurely. Such a luxury after dining with kids for years. We shopped a bit. (I bought new fabric!!!) We had a great time together without the kids. I could get used to that a few times a year, rather than just once a year. But I'll take what I can get. We also met up with Roxanne, and then I proceeded to talk her ear off. It was fun to see her house in person and to hang with her and her adorable daughter for a few hours.

On Thursday night I went to the Prairie Quilters monthly meeting in Long Prairie, MN. (It's the quilt club that my sister attends.) I showed about 30 of my quilts. The women were warm, welcoming and very complimentary. It was a fabulous few hours talking about quilts!!! I was so pumped up afterward that it was hard to sleep when I got home. They did some show and tell, too, and I snapped a few photos. It's always fun to see other quilters and their quilts. Oh, and they gave me a gift certificate to Gruber's quilt shop just for coming to share my quilts. Isn't that sweet?











This is my sister's quilt. She's on the left.


Sorry there are no photos of me. (I'm shy.) And you've already seen my quilts.
Next post, I'll share photos of my new fabric.

27 comments:

Mama Urchin said...

I love your sister's quilt!

Karen said...

Glad you had a good time on your vacation. I'm sure that your dad appreciates the new paint. Got all of my star blocks finished. Just working on the setting blocks and getting the top together. Welcome back;)

Anonymous said...

i haven't made that many quilts in my entire life! glad you enjoyed yourself and had a nice little getaway. would love to see your new fabric!

jacquie said...

i'm so glad you had a relaxing time. fargo...i'm getting homesick thinking about it. i grew up there. you're whole trip reminds me of home. what fun it must have been sharing and talking about your quilts.

Marcia said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful, well deserved, vacation.

Lauren The Artist said...

I love the stars quilt and that last one is super great, too. Welcome back from vacation. ~jen~

nettie said...

yay for a relaxing vacation!

so excited to see your new fabric

Katherine said...

I'm glad to hear you had such a nice getaway, Amandajean.

Oh, my! Look at all the lovely quilts! Thank you for sharing the pics and I'm looking forward to seeing the fabrics you bought on your vacation.

Have an awesome weekend!

Anonymous said...

Glad your back and that you had fun. I love your sister's quilt - and the others are pretty wonderful also!

Clair said...

It was fun to have you visit. :)

Karen said...

Welcome back Amandajean! Sounds like a nice getaway for you and your family. Your sister's quilt is really pretty! How fun that must have been...meeting her quilt guild and seeing each other's quilts.

LouAnne said...

You poor thing, you. Now you HAVE to go to Gruber's! I'm insanely jealous! LOVE that shop! smiles, LouAnne, far away in California!

Linda said...

Sounds like a great time! You'll have to let me know when you are coming up to Grubers. I'll meet you there, maybe! :0)

Tine said...

I'm so happy to hear you had a good time!
Sounds like fun to have some alone-time without the kids :-) I'm trying to get used to that idea myself, as my sweetie really wants us to go away for a weekend :-) LOL!

Anonymous said...

So nice to hear that you had such a lovely trip. Thanks for sharing the pics of the quilts. They are all gorgeous!

Anita D. said...

Sounds like your time away was about as long as ours, though a vacation with quite a different flavor. It's good to go somewhere different, isn't it?

I'm looking forward to seeing the fresh coat of paint.

sulu-design said...

Yay - sounds like a real vacation after all! I'm so glad that you got to spend some time alone with your husband. And that quilting group looks amazing. I bet you knocked their socks off.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good time away! Glad you had fun :)

Nanette Merrill said...

Well they are all darling. What a fun time. My favorite was the last quilt. It was oddly cute! Its fun to get away.

Kay said...

How fun! Wish my sisters quilted. I just started so maybe they will too, who knows?

Leisurely eating without kiddos, oh you want to make us jealous don't you? ;)

Rebecca said...

such a fabulous treat to see all those quilts at the meeting.

Roxanne said...

I am so glad you got a chance to relax. It was great hanging out with you guys...wish we could do it every week! (Do you think we would ever get anything done thought!? :))

Rebekah said...

sounds like you had a great vacation! I would have loved to see all of your quilts in person at the meeting!

Philigry said...

wow amazing! all of those wuilts are beautiful.
I am glad you had a good vacation!

Anonymous said...

How nice, it sounds like you had a really great time!

Anonymous said...

ur 8.8.8 post, u had a star quilt (4th pic down), i love it! what's the pattern?

Amanda Jean said...

janbradyc2000,

I'm not completely sure, but I think the star quilt is from a buggy barn pattern.

aj